A&P Film Processing in a dark room

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Filmboy44, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

Hello artists of OT :wavey:

I am writing something for screen, and I need to do a little research on photography as I have only worked in Walgreens 1 hour photo lab I don't know much about the actual processing of the film itself.

I was wondering if any of you would be able to give me some input as to what is required to develop the film on your own in a dark room. What chemicals are needed, how long and why do you hang them up, etc.

Anything you can help me with would be great...as I said we are writing this into a film that we are shooting in about a year/half after we wrap on the current production.

Thanks for you help :)

2. vizual

vizual → 190½ ЯBI ←

I'll try to throw some useful tid bits your way.

As for the chemicals needed, you need; developer (i think we use edwal fg7), fix, permawash and photoflow (both optional) along with water used as the 'stop.'

Here's basically how I develop my film (kodak tri-x or ilford hp5). I usually use a double tank so I develop two rolls at the same time. I measure out the amount of water and developer I need (which i think is about 480mL water and 32mL developer) and then i also have another 512mL of just water ready to be used to 'prewet' the film. The temp of both should be around 70ºF.

1. Pour in the pure water one first and agitate for a minute. (then dump)
    2. Pour in the mixture of water and developer, and agitate for 30 seconds, then 10 seconds every minute for 12 minutes. (then dump)
    3. Fill with water and swish it around, twice (this is the Stop)
    4. Fill with Fix and agitate the same as the developer, but only for 6 minutes. (Fix shouldn't be poured down the sink, so you pour it back into the container)
    5. Rinse (pour water in, swish around, pour out)
    6. Add Permawash, constantly agitate for 2 minutes.
    7. Wash (in water, just drop the reels in plastic tubes that are connected to a sink so they keep the water circulating, for 10 minutes)
    8. Before you put them in a dryer or hang them up to dry, I put the film in photoflow for about 30 seconds, its supposed to help with water spots, I haven't encountered any, so I keep using it.
    9. Dry (we have a film dryer which takes about 20min to dry them. We put clothes pins on them and hang em up, the clothes pin's help to prevent the film from curling while drying)

I may use a few extra steps than others, but thats how I was taught and it hasn't let me down yet. I'm pretty sure thats spot on, I need to develop a few rolls this weekend, when I go in, I'll double check. If you have any questions feel free to ask, I'll try and help ya out

3. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

wow, thanks a bunch man!!!

4. slapey

slapey The only OG with a 2004 join date.

The key here is to make sure you get the temperature right. Too warm and it will overdevelop. Too cold and it will be underdeveloped.

One other thing to add is that after you are done agitating, tap the canister on the countertop lightly a couple times. This will elminate any bubbles stuck to the film. Those bubbles can lead to uneven development and we dont want that. :)

5. vizual

vizual → 190½ ЯBI ←

thanks slapey i knew i'd forget something, he's right, the tapping is a must.

Also, the transfer of film to the reels which are put in the tanks doesnt need to be done in the darkroom, you can do it anywhere as long as you have a film changing bag, which basically looks like a small wind breaker jacket.

6. slapey

slapey The only OG with a 2004 join date.

A tip for doing this is to take some bunk film and practice with it first. You don't wanna take your good film out and not be able to get it on the reel. Also watch out you don't put your fingers on the emulsion while loading. This too can cause irregularities in development.

7. vizual

vizual → 190½ ЯBI ←

ya i got it down now, it was frustrating at first, but we only have one 'room' to load film in the darkroom, so if that's taken the film bag works, it's just less space to work with