A&P Film or Digital

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Culex, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Culex

Culex New Member

I'm a highschool kid with a really crappy job, so my income is very low. My parents got me a new digital camera because they though it would go well with my low income. It has, but i have noticed a drop in the quality of my pictures. Also, theres this whole feeling with a film camera that i just can't get with a digital. What do you think. Should i save the cash and stay digital, or splurge and go with film?

2. Digital is more fun, film will cost more in the long run :o

3. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

get a canon digital rebel

4. kendan

kendan New Member

depends, if you really like to develop your own pictures then obviously get a film camera. But if you like the instant gratification of seeing the picture instantly, then go w/ will and get the digital reb.

5. Jenny Jenn

Jenny Jenn New Member

What camera did they get you... also... you will be splurging for either film or digital since it sounds like you want a quality camera, but for long term use I would say the digitial will be better so you don't have to buy film and prints all the time.

6. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

Dell will have awesome reparescoming around October 15.
    350D for ~$450, 20D for $900...

7. mucky

mucky .

Film is more fun, IMO. Digital cameras are easier and cheaper.

I think what you're experiencing is what I noticed a couple of years back. In the film days, I took my time composing my shots to make it as perfects as possible, because # frames per roll was limited and prints cost money.

With the digital age of photography, taking photos has become so disposible that I can manually bracket my shot with 10 frames and have become sort of lazy in my composition. Unlike film, I can take a photo, review it, decide if I want to keep it or not, and reshot if I want, all on the spot. Not saying this is a bad thing, but it becomes so...I can't find the word I want to say.... Maybe the best word is disposible.

There's a different discipline with digital photography. In some ways its harder, because its so tempting to take 20 shots of the same subject in multiple ways and just deleting them on the fly if you dont like it. In film, you actually had to think harder how it might come out before you shoot. I think there's where that 'fun' you're talking about that digital camera is lacking.

Don't get me wrong, digital photography is great, definitely in the sense of convenience and economy, but something about film photography is more fun, especially when you watch your print magically come out on a white sheet of paper under the safelights.

8. Christine

Christine Give us something gruesome..

I like film photography a lot more for the following reasons:

• I like the feel of a metal body than a plastic digital.
    • More fullfilling - killing a roll, developing it in your bathroom > killing a card plug it in and uploads instantly
    • Permanant record of your work - negatives
    • The fact that 20-30 years later a camera like a Canon A-1 is far from obsolete. Digitals become obsolete within like 2 years or so. I doubt i'll see someone walking around snapping pics with their 20D or D70 years from now.
    • Kinda forces you to be a better photographer. More thought goes into it so that you can get the best shots out of a 36exp roll. Digital seems like a never ending supply and you don't force yourself to make every shot worth it.
    • Last but not least, the sound of the mirror slap. :yum:

That's my thought on the subject. :hs:

9. :eek3: O RLY?! :coold:

10. sony

sony Active Member

why did you try to send me a pm lowlikewhoa :hsughr:

you can im me at "canon20d" :mamoru:

my sub ended :run:

11. sony

sony Active Member

12. vizual

vizual → 190½ ЯBI ←

13. 48 Would you suggest doing the dell deal thing or 12 months 0% interest through Ritz Camera for $1349.

Comes with body and Canon 18-55 zoom.

What were the lenses you suggested? I forgot to write it down :o

EDIT: Oh nevermind you said for the body with 3 lenses it should only be around $1500-16 right? I think I'd rather spend the extra couple $$

Can you still tell me those lenses again :o

14. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

I don't see it for $900 :squint:

15. Rotate

Rotate New Member

I got into photography by getting a nice digital camera (Nikon D70) and now I'm finding myself exploring the more traditional roots of the craft (color film and slide prints).

Just do what you feel is best and let it take you where you want to go. I started off digital and that led me to explore film in order to widen my knowledge. Both have their advantage, but as long as you enjoy yourself and have a good time, what does it matter?

Don't write off either technique though. Its good to have a general knowledge of both.