A&P film noir project idea thread

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jared_IRL, Aug 15, 2008.

1. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I need your guys help.

I'm running out of ideas for my film noir project, and could use some other creative people for ideas....

Here's a link to a web gallery i'll update after each shoot - it's current right now:

http://www.32countiesphoto.com/noir/

I have shots with couples, pairs of girls, and individuals lined up. My sets are relatively limited, but props I can do...

I think I want to get more into the 'movie scene' type shots instead of the glamour portraits stuff.

I REALLY appreciate any effort any of you guys put into this. This project has really become important to me and I'm having a blast with it, so i'm trying to do it right.

thanks!

2. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Shoot in an ally at night. Lots of great opportunities for different looks. Also, street corners with a bar or restaurant signs lit up in the background, as long as they're somewhat period correct. Old hotel lobbys work well if you can find one as do hallways.

3. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

in a park possibly, near an old street light?

4. itchypony

itchypony New Member

incorporate an automobile

5. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

6. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

7. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I processed this after a concert, a night of drinking and while drinking a 'bedtime' bottle of wine.

thoughts?

[​IMG]

8. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

I think a crop on the right would have been better. She's too centered in the frame. Other than that, the lighting is on point, as usual. Thought I'm sure about the eyes, you used the expose brush in LR pretty heavily?

9. wheresthejon

wheresthejon OT Supporter

I dunno; maybe its cliche but if you had steam from rising from the streets or something it might make it more film noir....bring a fog machine haha

10. wheresthejon

wheresthejon OT Supporter

I also have another idea.... it would require a very shallow dof but have a guy in a suit puffing on a big cigar...focus the cherry of the cigar and leave him oof

11. mestizo

mestizo New Member

Could you do a street scene or would it be too many props?

12. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Yeah, this was a pretty rough edit. I'm gonna redo it tomorrow and bring down her eyes a bit, remove her nose ring and fix some other minor stuff. Maybe bring down the grain effect a bit too...

I centered her because I have too many images with a full 2/3 of the image being black. If I put her on the right 1/3 line, the other half of the image would be solid black...

i do have a fog machine, I'm thinking of using it in some other images... i have to test it out, it's some cheap thing I planned on using but never did at a halloween party I threw last year...

I tried that with the one side view shot of the cigar... It didn't turn out that great... Thanks for the idea though!!! Keep em coming!

It might be too many lights and too many props for what I have going on right now... I'd have to make sure I didn't toss in any elements that destroy the time frame authenticity, control the lighting on the street and control the lighting on my subjects. Not to mention how hard it would be to find a deserted street to setup on in downtown philly...

but I do need some way to get an outdoor street shot. Just haven't figured it out yet...

Thanks for the replies guys! Keep the ideas coming...

I'm shooting two more couples this weekend, so I'll have a TON of work for you to look at in the next couple days...

13. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

do this, but put a light above him shooting downward, like he's under a street lamp.

14. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

Hit up a classic car show and find someone with a 30's-40's model car and ask if he'd be interested in getting some period-era shots featuring his car.

Elliot Ness type guy at the wheel with the POV looking into the windshield. Driving with determination. Maybe in the rain w/water drops on the windshield.

Maybe a few shots of someone ducked behind the car for cover w/a gun. Or just popping out from behind it, taking a shot.

15. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

3 more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(I reprocessed this last one. It seems my monitor at home is off, lighting wasn't where I wanted it... )

critique?

16. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I like the shot on the stairs. It revels a little of the environment, which I think is the only thing missing in your shots. Great work on the lighting on the subjects!

17. kristin

kristin my dog > *

Absolutely love the one on the stairs. I agree with Jcolman.. More like that would be great for your set.

18. Laurel

Laurel New Member

The one on the stairs is great, but the gun keeps bothering me. Semiautomatic pistols weren't common until the 80's. A snubnosed revolver would have been perfect there.

19. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Tell that to Humphrey Bogart in 1941...

[​IMG]

And while you're at it, tell Allen Ladd He's wrong too:

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  20. Laurel

Laurel New Member

:rofl:

I didn't say that they didn't exist, merely that they weren't as common. I think that you'll find that most law enforcement pistols were revolvers until the early 90's. :)

21. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Yeah, they must have been pretty rare...

I mean it wasn't even the official side arm of the military until 1911...

:ugh:

and there sure weren't over 2 million made just for ww2 either...

:ugh:

Really, it's not worth arguing with you over this. I've done the research to make sure it's period appropriate.

I won't disagree that a revolver would have looked good in that shot, but confusing your personal preference with a historical fact about availability of such an item during the time period is just ridiculous.

22. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I'm not too sure about this one... Can't put my finger on why though.

Gimme some feedback:

[​IMG]

23. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Cross lighting would have helped this shot. Two lights, each with a snoot or barn doors set at opposite angles to the subject. The lights should light the side of the face away from the camera. Use a little fill light to light the shadows.

24. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

mmm... yeah, that would have worked... I could probably fill in those shadows a bit digitally. I actually think I darkened some of them intentionally...

Is it worth putting in the book?

25. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

No. It's worth a reshoot. And while you're reshooting, it needs some atmosphere and background.