A&P film crew v. argument with my friend

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by quid, May 8, 2007.

1. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

he claims that he processed color film to black and white. i have always understood that as cross processing, same like processing negative film with the positive process.

my stance is that black and white must be taken with black and white film, then processed with black and white chemicals

and his is that the only difference is the chemicals.

im right, right :confused:

2. I've only processed Tmax, i have no clue, i'm not a film guru.

viper might know :dunno:

3. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

some options:

1) he is referring to BW film designed for processing in c-41 chem
    2) he processed color film in BW chem, but got wierd shit out the other end
    3) he didn't process anything, drank the developer and tripped balls for an afternoon

after some quick checking (it's been to long since I played with wet process) you can develop c41 in B&W chem, but it results in shit unless you replace the B&W fix with C41 bleach-fix. You still get wierd shit for negs though.

4. quid

so it wouldnt actually come out in black and white. like a real life balck and white print.

5. Jonny Chimpo

oh, I forgot option 4: he printed color neg on BW paper, which doesn't have anything to do with the film.

If you process c41 film in BW chems, it won't look like BW film, it'll look like wierd ass over exposed color film and it'll still be on that orange base stock.

Printing color film onto BW paper is possible though, with some caveats. Exposure time for color film onto BW paper is longer because of the colored base stock of color film, and contrast goes wierd.

6. quid

ok so it will be black and white but technically youre supposed to do each differently

7. Jonny Chimpo

no, it won't be B&W.

color film is color film, regardless. if you process it in BW chem you have fucked up color film, but it's still color film. If you use normal BW chem you end up will really dark negs that are basically unprintable. if you swap the BW fix with C41 bleach fix you get a printable color neg with messed up colors, but it still won't be BW.

You can PRINT color film on BW paper, but the film is still color. Just the print is BW, and it's not the same as printing BW from BW film.

Long story short: I don't have enough details of what he did to tell you if your friend is completely full of horse shit or not, but my guess is that he is.

8. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

next time you see him, look to see if the film has that orangy look to it. that would be c-41 process black and white. you can get the crap at Best Buy and it looks like ass. as far as im aware its just one layer film that is made to be developed by the retards at CVS. since color print film has 3 layers [sometimes 4] when you develope it you will always get color.

9. quid

thanks a lot guys :bowdown: