Fill in the blank... these symptoms are the result of _______ failing

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Blindsight, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

I'm working on a computer that I think was the victim of a nasty power outtage, or a lightning strike, or something. The HD was toast, so I put a different one in and managed to get XP Pro installed, but it's not 100% fixed.

The computer will run flawlessly for as long as two hours, and then suddenly will just restart. No BSOD, no error messages, no warning, just a "courtesy reboot" as we call them. Then the computer will continually reset itself like that, running only a few minutes each time.

One possibility is that when XP was installed, various files, about 20 of them, refused to be copied - even to the swapped HD. I am inclined to think that the files must not have been that important because they were help files, etc for the most part, and the computer gives NO warning or explanation for its reboots. To me it sounds like bad memory.

I would really appreciate any thoughts or advice about this one... Thanks guys! :wavey:

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Bad parts of memory?

3. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

What do you mean?

4. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Hmm...

I'm going to go with overheating of the processor. When you start it up, it apparently takes 2 hours for it to cook itself. It reboots, but the processor hasn't cooled down enough so it takes less and less time for the reboots. Cheapest thing to do is make sure all the fans are spinning (especially the one over the CPU - if it has one).

If it was a direct hit with lightning, either the power supply would be toast or if it came in via network cable or phone cable, then everything BUT the power supply would be toast (its pretty wicked to see).

5. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I had a computer once (Toshiba :ugh: ) and it would randomly reboot for no apparent reason. Multiple reformats and still no help. I took it to CompUSSR ( :ugh: x2) and they pulled the RAM and tested it. Both sticks returned corrupted data. They gave me new stuff and it fixed it. Maybe the power influx did something to the RAM. :dunno:

6. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

I concur :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

7. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

It doesn't stay on for 2 hours dependably.... well maybe it does.. it's hard to say :hs:

I will check the CPU fan - but I'm pretty sure that little bastard was spinning when I buttoned everything up.

8. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

check the temp in the BIOS

9. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

:werd: I will be swapping in some spare RAM I have laying around.

10. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I had a similair problem, everyone told me it was my Ram. So, I upgraded my ram, and I still got the same shit. :ugh:

I finally realized it was my CPU. Story:

One day when I came home from work, I turned on my computer. It was insanely quiet for some odd reason, I didn't quite catch on though. Computer booted, but it was REALLY slow. I'm like... what the hell. I look at my services to check to see what I was running, and it I just had an hour glass waiting to upon up that program. I'm finally like... hrm... Open up my case, and my CPU fan isn't moving. I'm like :ugh2: Shut my computer off instantly and replaced it with another one. After that my computer kept rebooting after minutes of turnning it on. I finally realized, suprised I didn't before, that it was my CPU. :ugh:

I think it's your CPU.

11. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

I dunno - the box has been running at full speed throughout this whole thing. The girl who owns it is giving it to me because she convinced her mom to give her a new one, which is great because you can't have too many computers. Eventually I'll figure out what gave up the ghost and be smarter for it :x:

12. SJP0tato

SJP0tato Guest

Sounds like one of a few major components. I'd start with the RAM. Use this:

http://www.softlookup.com/download/down9056.html

To test it out. It seems to work best if you test 1 stick at a time, rather than leaving 2 or 3 in and running it on all at once. I'm sure you've checked already, but make sure the cpu fan is spinning...the symptom doesn't really fit this, but might as well take a glance at it. Next check the HD brand, and download and run a diagnostic program from the manufacturer to rule that out. Next I would swap out the CD-ROM drive and EIDE cable for a known working one and re-install windows from a fresh format. (Installing OS's is the most demanding of uses from a cd-rom drive & cd). Next try swapping out the power supply with a known working unit. I'd say try each one in succession and see how it works. If it's still having problems after all this, then it's almost definately the mobo and/or cpu.

Hope that helps,

Ryan P.

13. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

ram test:
    http://www.memtest86.com/

My money is on the powersupply. I've had some wierd ass shit happen with a ps which couldn't keep up with a new mobo & cpu.

14. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Check chip creap.

15. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

Cool, thanks for the additional tips guys... Hopefully I can swipe the computer from her soon and investigate the problems further :x: