File Sharing w/ Wireless

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jbuffethed, May 1, 2005.

1. jbuffethed

jbuffethed Member

I am trying to share files on my 2 systems. both with XP pro. I have a linksys wireless router, I am hard wired, the other is wireless. We got the internet sharing to work, but cant get any file sharing or anything to show up under my network places. I have done many searches and followed directions like enable file sharing, but nothing. Am I missing something?

2. txz

txz Guest

Try disabling the Windows XP Firewall.

3. jbuffethed

jbuffethed Member

I tried that, still nada, I disabled norton also and nothing. Is there any setting in the router that might prevent this?

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

The firewall most likely isn't the problem... but make sure the box next to file and print sharing is checked.

Could be a couple of different things...

Do you have file and print sharing on the machines enabled?
    Can you ping each other?
    Also, give each computer a common user/password

5. jbuffethed

jbuffethed Member

everything is enabled, pinging works and responds. When you say give a common user/password, does that just mean create his user on my pc and my user on his pc. we can both get into the workgroup, but its empty. I am clueless now.

6. Sirkraker

Sirkraker New Member

Make sure all firewalls are off. I ran into problems with that. Make sure your workgroup is the same on both With windows XP I made the same account on both machines. Now when I log on to one machine my hard drives from my other machines show up on my network places.

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

You want to have common user account on both machines, so you can either create yours on the other machine or create the others machines account on yours.

Just for kicks, have have to tried to hardiwire both connections to the router and test it? It will at least rule out the wireless as being the problem.

Can the machines ping each other? Do they both have IP addreses given out by the router?

8. jbuffethed

jbuffethed Member

TR
    Thats exactly what we did and it worked. thanks