File Sharing Problem in Windows 2000 Server

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by pipplo, Aug 19, 2003.

1. pipplo

pipplo Whistle fan

Postd in Offtopic no response:

Hey guys

I'm having a problem. Right now I got a server and 1 workstation networked at my work, througha switch. We are gonna add more later but anyway.

The problem is the files for invoice tracking and stuff are stored on the server and shared with permissions for anyone on the domain to edit and view. Well the problem is that sometimes while working on files on the workstation, they don't close on the server when you close them, so that next time you open them it tells you you have to open it in read only because someone else has them on, even though I've closed it, or haven't even opened that file at all yet, that day. So i have to log on to the server and close it manually.

I've tried a few things:

Removed caching on the share, didn't work
    Turned off auto save in excel, didn't work
    In file sharing, turned it to max bandwidth for file sharing, didn't help

Any ideas guys? I'm lost, sometimes it'll say a file has 3 read instances open, even though i've only tried to just open it once and got an error

btw they are excel files, Quickbooks never seems to give me errors yet

2. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Does anyone use the "server" as a workstation? Or is the server in a closet tucked away where no one should be on it unless they're doing server type things?

3. pipplo

pipplo Whistle fan

nobody uss the server....except to close the damn open files so the workstation can

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

What OS is the workstation running? Do you have all the patches for it and the server?