File Server v. Burning Music

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kieffer87, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

What do others do? I have a file server and would like to keep all music, etc on there. However whenever I want to burn a new music cd I need to copy the shit over to my local computer and burn, or else burn on the server.

I also noticed my network utilization is never 100% which I know won't ever happen but I would think it should at least hit 50% from time to time. I thought with server 2003 it should allow enough connections and thus increasing transfer rates. Any ideas?

Setup is all wired 100Mb via dd-wrt linksys router, server running server 2003 local machine running vista and xp sp2.

Any additional info would be helpful to understand if I'm way off.

2. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

just pull it off a network share into your burning app. Chances are your network is fast enough to sustain a decent enough transfer rate to feed your cd burner, and as far as i know all burners now have buffer underrun prevention so even if the transfer rates dip, the cd burn process will slow itself down to compensate. The only thing you have to worry about is if your network connection drops, you'll have a coaster.

3. Kieffer87

I'll have to give it a try but if I remember right I tried it once and it took forever to complete.

4. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

Well, aside from copying it to the local drive or burning it on the actual server (which you shouldn't be doing anyway) there isn't really any other way I can think of...

5. Kieffer87

Just selecting the files from the server and burning them worked great. Guess I should of just tried before I posted :noes:

6. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

even though it wont help speed up burning of the disc, i would suggest upgrading to a gigabit network

2 gigabit nics and a gigabit switch should be under $60, i've seen amazing improvements since then
    [​IMG]

7. Kieffer87

Yea I've been thinking about this for some time. Soon I will be building a new machine and I think at that time I ill upgrade the card in the server and grab a new switch.

8. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

funny thing is that my old server couldn't handle the gigabit card. it was an amd athlon 1.2ghz. when i swapped in the gigabit card, i saw a slight increase in throughput, but nothing near what i wanted. on gigabit, it was barely going above 3% utilization

i swapped out that server completely with an amd athlon 64 3000+, totally night and day when it came to throughput on transfers. now i can sometimes get 50% at peak, transferring a 4.7gb dvd image might take 2-3 minutes, before it took 10+

9. Kieffer87

hmm interesting. Hopefully mine can handle it. It's got dual AMD Athlon MP 1900+ 1.6ghz each. I would think it should be able to handle it being its a server mb.

I would love to be able to transfer a DVD in 2-3 minutes.