File Server Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hathgar, Apr 10, 2006.

1. hathgar

hathgar Lurker

I'm in a class at school and we need to basically desgin a windows 2003 server and then configure the server. I was just wondering if anyone could give me a recommend statistics for the amount of memory and CPU usage the average user might use on such a server. Its just a file server that students from the college could connect to and save their files on their own drive. Our Professor wants us to justify the amount of RAM and CPUs that we put into the computer and besides just making a random guess I have no idea. Thanks

2. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

How many total users do you anticipate? How many simultaneous users?

3. hathgar

hathgar Lurker

5000 students and 1000 professors. Students have 100mb of storage aand prof. gets 1GB each. I would say at any one time about 20% of total usage so say 1500-2500 users at a given time.

4. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

Agreed.

If you're talking about 5 students then 512mb is ample.

5. hathgar

hathgar Lurker

I figured that...thats why i was really looking for a per user stat so i could just multiply that by the total number of users that I would guestimate to be on at any one time add mabey 20% for upward growth.

Also i guess i should point out that were really talking about saving powerpoint and word files nothing that is going to require continuos access to the server...i know i cant spell sorry

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  6. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

:eek3: Not at all what i expected.

7. hathgar

hathgar Lurker

We dont actually have to build it. He just wants us to design the server on paper and then use a regular computer with windows 2003 server installed to configure the different user accounts and set up the network drives, set up a domain and print server and im sure whatever other goodies he can think of before this thing is due but the server is supposed to be designed to the specs of the file server i described above. the rest is just so we can prove we can do it.

8. fantyx

fantyx New Member

Dual core Intel CPU
    Intel D975XBXLKR for the raid 5 and gigabit
    2 gigs of RAM
    As many SATA hard drives as you can afford, put in raid5
    some cheap video card for vga support.

It also depends on what kind of server. You'd be suprised, but FTP servers just eats CPU time. On the other hand it will max out at 13mb/s unless the entire network is gigabit.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  9. bandwagon

bandwagon Copy/Paste

Write a report telling how it would require a whole lot (months) of baseline analasis before being able to choose the best solution.