File association problems..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ghettoraid, Jun 12, 2006.

1. ghettoraid

ghettoraid evil chairman kaga

To keep this simple, I'll focus on .avi files.

Windows XP SP2, all hotfixes, etc.

I will double click an avi, and the "open with" dialog will come up. I will choose WMP, check the "always use this prog.." box, and the video will play. Close the WMP window, double click the same avi... and I'll get the open with dialog again.

I've tried telling it to "always open" with another media player... works FINE. Holds the association. Windows Media Player refuses to. I've checked other installed media players to see if they're battling to stay associated, they're not.

Any ideas? I'm skimming this right now. http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/368/07/1.html

2. ghettoraid

I just did this, and now double clicking avi's will open WMP, but then WMP gives me a dialog which says "WMP cannot find the specified file..blabla"

I'm giving it a restart but I doubt this will do it.

3. ghettoraid

cmon...

4. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Though i doubt this will work, try right-clicking on the avi, and going to properties. Where it says Open with, click Change, and select WMP, then OK twice.

Its just another way of changing the file association.

5. modspace

modspace New Member

inside windows media player... have you tried going to Tools -> Options -> File Types and associate from there?

6. 7960

7960 New Member

re-install WMP

7. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

What did you do? Did you edit the file type association and put in something like blah.exe %1? If so, put quotes around the %1 like this: blah.exe "%1"

8. ghettoraid

ohlol

i forgot to paste the section of text I tried from that link... hold on...

ASSOCIATING AN ACTION
    The Action box in the Add New File Type dialog box is where you make things happen. When any file of your new file type is opened from Explorer or My Computer, the action you specify takes place. The action is a command–an executable file–and when you attach that file as an action, the executable file becomes the software association for the new file type.

1. To begin, click New, which opens the New Action dialog box (see Figure 7-2).
    2. In the Action box, specify the command you want to appear on the shortcut menu. Most of the time this would be Open.
    3. In the Application used to perform action box, enter the path and filename of the executable file you want to associate with this file type (use the Browse button to find it if you need to).
    4. If the application can use DDE, select the Use DDE check box. Choose OK when you are finished.

If you want the shortcut menu to display an underlined letter that you can use with the Alt key (a hot key), precede the appropriate letter with an ampersand (&). Don’t use a letter that is already in use on shortcut menus.

Tried ^^ that and it didn't do anything for me. Well, not true. Double clickin an avi will OPEN WMP, but will wmp will then say... the file isn't actually there... which is retarded and untrue.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I would try this - it's really easy and quick.

10. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

They left out something. For step three, put a space then "%1" at the end of the executable. So go from myexe.exe to myexe.exe "%1" %1 carries the name and path of the file you are trying to open. Be sure to use quotes around it.

Or just reinstall WMP and be done with it.

11. ghettoraid

Tried the %1 thing, no luck.

Windows media player won't uninstall

12. ghettoraid

Ah, it's back. Tried uninstalling winamp as well, just to be safe... Now it's fine.