figured i would post some vids of my 302 idiling

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by victimizati0n, Jan 25, 2010.

1. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

hope you guys like.. it was running open header in the garage, and the sound was way too much for the camera, which is why it was cutting out

anyways:

302, 327 sj block with 67' z28 crank
    64cc heads
    69' z28 11:1 pistons, engine has 12.5:1 comp
    600cfm holly carb
    weiand xcellerator intake
    comp cam 280h cam ( 230 @.050, .480" lift)

[y]dUqCjgsGDgo[/y]

[y]IePo14YAde8[/y]

[y]2Bb4eFzqjD8[/y]

2. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

how does that thing stop???

3. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

what?

4. twistid

no master cylinder

5. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

it has a master cylinder

[​IMG]

6. twistid

aircleaner in the 3rd video was hiding :o

7. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

its hard to see without a booster behind it :hs:

once i get the car done im going with 4 wheel disc brakes and im gonna put a booster and a vacuum canister on it

8. twistid

i've had a couple cars without boosters... fun cars.

9. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

needs mufflers, i cant hear anything!

10. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

its loud as hell, you can hear it from 500' away idling :hs:

when i took it outside i put the mufflers back on, and it sounds so mild

but once i get it done, im parking it in front of this stupid bitches house that comes by 50 times a day with her annoying ass ricer 4 banger, paybacks a bitch :o

11. twistid

didn't you post a thread about the ricer a year ago... you're still having issues with them???

12. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

yeah, im pretty sure i did, there are a few people that have ricers around here, but they dont pass my house literally 20+ times a day for the passed 4 years.

someone else has a 3.8l with an exhaust on it and htey pass a lot, but its not nearly as loud/obnoxious

13. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

what i ment is it's so loud its distorting the mic, so you cant hear what it really sounds like.

what kind of mufflers are you running?

14. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

haha, yeah i know, it was overpowering the camera really good, and everyone that posted comments thought that the sound cutting out was the engine backfiring :hs:

when i had the exhaust on, it was what came with the car, looked like 2.25" pipe with some cheap mufflers, probably the cheapest kind from autozone

exhaust is way far away, but i would like to just buy a kit from jegs/summit, probably dynomax or magnaflow

with no exhaust, and if you wernt paying attention and someone hit the throttle, it scares the piss out of you, that little 302 revs up so quickly, and with the high compression it is back down to idle when you let off of the gas

i took the engine out of the car about 15 months ago to rebuild it, but it has just sat, and im going to work on the body now, im going to be replacing the quarters, tail light pan, rocker panels, and door skins.

im also planning on tubbing the car to put some meat in the rear.

i have a chevy 509, 400ci block sitting in the garage, that is a 100% virgin block, the cylinders were right on, smallest was 4.124 and biggest was 4.126. Im still not sure if im going to just keep the block, as they are getting pretty rare these days, plus its not the strongest block out there, but i may build a dart 406.

the 302 that was in the car has some scratches on the crank and im not sure if they can be polished or if the crank is junk.. but im sure someone thats looking to build a spec 302 would love to get their hands on it.

15. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

heres some pics too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the engine was pretty damn clean IMO, there was some sludge sitting in the oil pan, but thats probably because the engine sat for 12 years without running
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

heres my 400 block that i am thinking of building.. picked it up from a guy for $300, which wasnt a bad deal considering it was cleaned/mag tested, if i got the block dirty and not tested, it would have cost me ~$200
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these are stock 69' z28 pistons, all carboned up.. whoever rebuilt the engine put scratches in all of them, but i really have no idea why, they all had 1-4 scratches on them
    [​IMG]

intake/cam.. the last cam lobe is a bit worn, something i hear is a common problem with CC cams
    [​IMG]

16. mostrandom17

mostrandom17 New Member

excellent car man keep it up ! the car's engine is really powerful seems to be tough !

17. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

just took the engine to the machine shop today, i can get away with getting it honed, so im getting it cleaned, honed, and getting the cam bearings/freeze plugs installed.

Im going to put some ARP main studs in, so im waiting for them to arrive so i can give it to my machinist to put them on and align hone the mains

18. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

sweet vids! I have a virgin 509 block too. Its sitting in 3 garbage bags on a stand all soaked in wd40 until I decide what I want to do :shrug:

19. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

yeah, im still unsure if i want to build it, or just keep it and build a dart SHP block.. im looking to get ~650hp out of it, not sure if that block can hold that power, its a bit iffy, even with the splayed 4 bolt mains.

im hoping my block might be done tomorrow, im a bit excited to see how it turns out, the guy is not hot tanking it, but putting it in one of those spray booths with a caustic fluid, so it wont turn out as good as that 400 block i have IMO, but we will see.

in the future im putting a tunnel ram and the -140 offroad cam.. cant recall the specs of the cam right now, but its something like .490/.515, and the duration is around 260/270 @.050.. its going to be a really nasty son of a bitch

20. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

talked to my machinist the other day, the block should be done sometime next week, i wasnt expecting this much of a delay, but oh well.

there was a problem with the crank, and it had to be cut, so i will have to run oversized bearings, but the block itself is cleaned and honed, and the cam bearings/freeze plugs were put in.

he said that the main caps didnt fit correctly even with the stock bolts, but it needs to be line honed anyways since i went with the main studs.. once i get it back i will post some pictures.

21. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

getting the block decked also, there was so much rust buildup in the water jackets of the block, it wont seal right with the heads.

the deck was already zero'd out before, so this will be interesting.

i will be running a .039" head gasket, so i think i will still be good considering gm used a .015" gasket for the z28 i believe

22. twistid

so have you decided to do a build with it, or are you just going to seal it up once this is all done??? if so, i can't wait to see the build.

23. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

im probably just going to keep the old parts on for now, the intake was a weiand xcellerator hi rise, and it had a cc 280h cam.. same with the stock heads, they are 462 fuelies, small valve

im thinking of getting the weiand team g, sticking the z28 offroad cam in it, and maybe later a set of dart heads, i have been spending time porting the hell out of the old heads to get them to flow a bit better.

everything really depends on how much low end torque this is gonna have

24. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

so i guess im going to be using main bolts now as my machinist couldnt get the main caps to go on the studs i got.. not sure if ARP messed up, or what.

he said even if he forced them on the mains were all twisted up, so hes going to order some arp bolts and make up the difference.

He is going to call me on monday to let me know what all is going on and so i can order the bearings (still dont know how much they have to cut the crank)