SRS Fighting depression...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Speed_Demon1965, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Speed_Demon1965

Speed_Demon1965 New Member

So I've been really depressed and have had serious thoughts of suicide lately. The depression started probably almost nearly a year ago, but has recently increased greatly to the point of me getting so frustrated with my life that I've thought about giving up for good. I hate feeling this way and want to change it. My question is, who do I go to? Would they diagnose me with something and give me medication right away or what?

2. mrj

mrj New Member

You'd see a psychologist if you want medication.

You talk to them for an hour and they'll determine what you "need."

3. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

damn dude i used to be just like you i recomend seing a pshychologist and have them determine what to do like mrj said good luck feel free to message me if you want some one to talk to

4. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

:werd: on the psychologist thing.. nothing like living depressed for long amounts of time.. i have been.. in my opinion depressed for 3 or so years now.. i never went to get help or anything, because basically i feel that nothing can help me.. but whatever.

i have thoughts of suicide all of the fucking time.. but it really doesnt scare me into getting help because i probably wouldnt kill myself because i dont want "attention" from it.. if that makes sense

5. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

makes perfect sense used to think that way too still do i guess in some ways

6. Speed_Demon1965

I feel kind of like you. I feel like nothing can help because I don't know what's wrong with me. I am not excited about going, but I'm too young to feel like this. I need a boost in self esteem and want to be happy again.

As far as suicide goes, I only think about it when I'm very very lonely and have been thinking about how shitty my past has been. I could care less about the attention that I would get if I actually did it. I have held a blade to myself and looked at a bottle of sleeping pills, but never actually attempted yet. The frustration with not being able to express yourself and how you feel is the worst feeling I've ever experienced...

7. mrj

mrj New Member

I think you should determine the root of the problem and work to make yourself happier before medicating yourself.

8. Speed_Demon1965

So what's the difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist? Could I go to either one?

9. mrj

mrj New Member

One you "talk to" to fix problems, one you get drugged by.

10. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

Psychologist will diagnose you with a problem.... psychiatrist will find a drug to help your problems.

My suggestion: if you are in college, they should have a free service you can go to where you can talk to someone once a week.

Trust me, even though you think that going to talk to someone is a stupid idea, it helps tremendously. I have always been disappointed with myself for many years but never had the courage to actually see a psychologist.

Then my school got attacked hardcore and I feel into a deep depression. My friends were there to support me but there was only so much they could do. Finally I gave in and went to the Cook Counseling Center on campus and I talked to a Psych Intern. She helped me out so much with identifying my problems and letting me just talk. I tell you, after the first meeting I walked out of the door of that building and I never felt better. It was so crazy what a little bit of talking can do to relieve you of stress.

If you are in high school... talk to a counselor. Usually the school is set up where each section has a counselor to talk to about school stuff, but they also deal with social problems and the like. You should definately consider that.

11. sxycdnbrat

sxycdnbrat New Member

i have tons of experience with serious bouts of depression and in many cases is is not one, but a combination of treatments that put you in a good state.

cognitive behavioural therapy, medication, and traditional "talk" therapy have been effective for me.

bottom line is, talk to SOMEONE. get what you need :)

12. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

give the doctor thing a chance but so far no drugs have helped me:wtc:

13. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

yea i know what your saying. i'm young and depressed as hell. it seems like everyone is nowadays but i think i'm more depressed then most people

14. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

good suggestion. but make sure to talk to someone whos highly recommended

15. Speed_Demon1965

I think you're right. Today I feel like making myself better. I'm going to start off by fixing the things I don't like about myself. Maybe start eating better, start working out, shit like that. After that, hopefully I can be more confidence about myself and my appearance. Then I will fix my biggest reason for my depression, my loneliness. Maybe I will find someone and hook up. :noes:

But tomorrow, or in a few hours I will be depressed and not give a fuck again. Who knows.

16. sp0rk in the ear

sp0rk in the ear New Member

I was depressed and with adhd. Drugs have helped me tremendously. You said you want a boost in self-esteem? well getting psychological issues handled will certainly allow for that, I'm living proof.

Don't even hesitate dude, you're being your own worst enemy.

17. teo

teo . => ? => !

Baby steps. Change one or two things at a time and give it a few weeks to settle in and form as habit. Change too many things at once and you're setting yourself up for failure which will hammer your resolve and potentially aggravate your depression and low self-esteem.

18. Tehrod

Tehrod New Member

you don't need drugs to make you feel better. If anything maybe you should just change your lifestyle? do more of what you want, maybe you like making money but hate your job? Look into a new career or something of that sort. If it's society and the views that people have on you, shrug them off, who cares what someone else thinks...I like to think that the only important thought is the one in my head. haha, it helps.