MIL Field Artillery 13B

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Burrito10, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

hello thar, I am interested in 13B, and would like to know what role they play in iraq. i asked my brother, who is an iraq and afghanistan vet, about this, and he told me i might as well go 11B because the artillery units are pulling security and going on patrols, "kicking doors in" just like a light infantry unit. is this true? would really like to know, since im going to see my recruiter tomorrow.

if anyone has any other additional info, like pros and cons of 13B, that'd be great, too. :x:

2. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

What did you say? I can't hear you.

3. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

already hard of hearing anyway :p

4. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

you'll be working for me. And making me go crazy. I guess its a cool job. Id rather be an FO if i was enlisted though.

5. RecklessYouth

RecklessYouth godamnlurker

I am not a 13 series, however I am in a field artillery battalion so I can tell you just based on my units experiences. During the last rotation to Iraq your friend would have been correct, it was a total maneuver mission. Afghanistan is the more traditional field artillery mission. If you really want to be a 13, go for it, I mean just about any MOS will kick in doors if the mission calls for it.

6. shiba

shiba Active Member

generally yes. pretty much all the bombing missions are done by the air force now.

7. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

I was the only Airborne MLRS Battalion Sigo in the US Army at one point. :o

8. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

is mlrs a pretty fun mos? sounds lame, but i want a fun mos that will keep me interested. i've read too many posts here about people hating their mos!

9. SeaMack99

SeaMack99 OT Supporter

My pops was MLRS for 20yrs. I grew up all around it. He even let me drive the track a couple times and everything. But when it came time for me to join and I wanted to go 13M he almost tired to kick me out the family.:ugh:

With that said I think its a cool ass MOS and if could do it all over again I'd do it.

10. MumblingJoe169

meh, MLRS is alright. Like I said earlier, I think observers have much cooler jobs than just sitting on the gun line waiting for a fire mission, or in the FDC. Your call though. Your basically just gonna be cleaning an artillery piece and ramming a round into it. Its kinda cool, but like anything else it loses its sexiness real quick(i.e. the minute cleanup time comes). Theres alot of cool jobs in the army, alot of which aren't even advertised. Just do alot of research and keep coming back with questions.

11. MumblingJoe169

and yes, artillery still do fire missions in Iraq, but they do a hell of alot more in Afghanistan. Thats why Im trying to switch to a light unit.

12. SeaMack99

SeaMack99 OT Supporter

You're probably right about the whole MLRS thing which is why my dad didn't want me to follow suit. But what can you expect when you spent most of your life at Sill as a kid:o

13. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

alright alright, i've narrowed my options down. I qualified for Air Traffic Controller, and all the bonuses that come with it. in total it was ~$80,000 for the minimum 6 year commitment.

the other option, is i do the MLRS shit for 3 years with around $40,000 in bonuses. i qualify for the senior bonus (which pays $1,000 every month till i graduate, then $1,000 for getting my diploma.) one problem is that my parents aren't really down with me shipping off a week or two after highschool, due to family circumstances.

the only thing keeping me on edge with ATC is that its 6 years, and the only thing im doing it for is the money, in the service AND outside of it. anybody have any words of advice? decisions decisions....

14. MumblingJoe169

do ATC if thats what you really wanna do when you get out of the military. If not, then go do MLRS for a few years and just have fun.
    i take it this is for active duty?

15. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

yeah this is for active duty. i dont want to be an ATC at all, just had good figures. got other plans when i get out :x:

16. Persephone

Persephone New Member

When I was choosing a job this morning they offered me a $30k bonus plus a quick ship bonus of $6k for this job...

Just a quick bit of info from this morning. I for one wouldn't do it but if you are already set on it the free moneyz can't hurt.

17. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

holla

18. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Like you have bombed anything other than a test.

19. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Never bombed a test, I have bombed my office after a bean burrito lunch.

20. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

don't let the quick ship bonus cloud your MOS thinking.

I went 18x (Special Forces recruit) because I truely believe in their mission (base level, train up the locals to fight and lead them into battle). there are 3 other 18x's here in airborne that signed up for the quick ship bonus and the automatic airborne school enrollment and they have been regretting every day of their training because it's not something that they really wanted and were distracted by the large monetary figures.

and while the recruiter may tell you that you can always change your MOS, it's not an easy (or quick) process as these guys have found out.