Fiberglass people..need help. *pics.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by WiLL, May 7, 2005.

1. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Hi. I just received my speakers today and discovered that they dont fit. I have a window-rail pretty close to the sheet-metal. Using a baffle tall enough will cause the speaker to hit the door panel. I looks like the only way I can get these in is with some glassin'.

I dont want kickpanels because they will just take too much time and work. I have never done fiberglassing before, so the more simple it is, the better.

I was doing some research and found these two attractive projects that look very simple. This first one simply mounts the speaker onto a ring that is glassed into the speaker cover. But I dont think this is a good idea because the speaker is sitting onto of the cover which is held in with clips to the door panel. So it is not even reinforced to the metal of the door.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the 2nd idea. This takes the concept of the first one, but takes it a couple steps further. Here is the link. I figure I can do this and bolt it to the metal of the door like the guy did. That should hold it well. Then I will sounddeaden the door panel and door like crazy. This seems like a better idea, but will involved way more work. I will even have to find vinyl wrap that matches my interior.

http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11146&highlight=soooper+simple+door+pods

Thanks.

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

if u do anything as tacky as that blue project i hope you realize the odd looks ull get

3. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Can you say RicAR?

4. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Well, I know the car sucks with all that blue trim. But I am just looking at the how the speaker is glassed into the speaker cover. Nothing more.

5. AirWaveGT

AirWaveGT Do tiny black horses eat ice cream while dancing

what kind of car is this for? if its for an integra i had a 3/4" spacer in there for my cdts and it fit fine.

6. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

1999 Integra sedan. I used .75" baffle, and the magnet hits the window rail. I need about .5" for clearance. But the the door panel will be in the way. I am going to do kick panels :hs:

7. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Good luck with the kicks.

8. Ronin

Ronin Guest

my best recommendation for you to find some good tutorials is to have an account on sounddomain and run the search (atleast i think u need an account, ull find out) and search for fiberglass, i know ive seen people on their do fiberglassing and the like.