fiber in carbs and insulin levels

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Bobsbarricades, Dec 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobsbarricades

Bobsbarricades New Member

Correct me at any point that I have my logic wrong here.

Boat load of carbs = higher insulin levels = must balance with fiber/fat/protein to combat

Does anybody know any numbers in that equation?? I like what that Dr. Sears talks about in his 'zone' book but I'm just trying to find out what sort of amounts of fiber/protein start to decrease youre bodies response to carbs (mianly from pastas and bread) that flood your system with insulin. I eat all whole wheat foods and it seems to me that there is a boat load more fiber and protein in those foods than there is in most fruits.

Anywho, hope that's not to 'stream-of-conciousness' and somewhat understandable :p Thanks guys

2. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

The effect of fiber will vary according to a buttload of factors, it would be useless to try to predict how it will act. The best indicator would be to compare the II (insulinic index) of some food, but even then, it's only a mean of how much insulin some people released while taking a certain food on an empty stomach. I guess each person's insulin sensitivity would have an effect on that too, so even on one person, depending on the time of the day, if he exercised recently, if he ate something with it, etc, the release can vary.

Fruit probably has less fiber than whole wheat products per serving, but there's a lot of water in an apple and not much cals, plus fruits have fructose which doesn't have an effect on insulin. Try eating a serving of pasta, it's around 300 cals and you will still be hungry since it's so little.

Cliffs : don't worry about it, prioritize fruits and veggies and assess if you can handle other types of carbs well (whole grain, sugar and so on).

3. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

I wouldn't worry about things like trying to figure out the GI of an entire meal. I would just focus on total amount of carbs and how nutritious the source is.

4. Bobsbarricades

Bobsbarricades New Member

andrew - didn't think about the cals or know that fructose didn't effect insulin. Gracias :)

Ceaze - I wonder what you mean by 'total amount of carbs.' 1to1-ish?

thanks for the help

5. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

For the cal thing : it's called caloric density (I think). It's a ratio between volume and number of calories. Usually, the water content affects this (fruits and veggies have more water than meat or bread, for example).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.