SRS Fiancee's little sister attmepted suicide....what do i do for her?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by s40Strib, Feb 5, 2008.

1. s40Strib

s40Strib New Member

So yeah. She and her sister are pretty close. The fiancee and I live in atlanta and her sister lives in Rockledge Fl. I dunno what to do. I feel so helpless in trying to help her as I really have no clue what to do. Ahhh. This is horrible timing. Last week we found out that my lady has Celiac's disease and last night we find that her little sister hates their mother so much she tried to kill herself with pills...I just really don't know what to say or do...is there anything i should do?

2. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

Maybe you could offer to let her sister stay with you for a while. :dunno:

I dunno man.

3. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Who are you and what have you done with Viper?:noes:

4. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

you do nothing for the sister. shes embarassed enough im sure.

you help the fiance

5. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Do you have any connection with the lil sis? She might need someone to talk to. However it also might be well beyond your abilities to help. She should seek professional help.

6. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

when i made that reply, i assume its the standard relationship with your fiance... and that you are more or less aquantances (not like you guys call each other often, id bet)

you best bet is to send your fiance down there to see her

7. 2500

2500 Guest

Celiac's disease is hereditary, so I'm sure some family members have it and shouldn't be too hard to deal with seeing as its just a diet change. Be thankful she caught it and didn't think she just had the craps alot. It can lead to other worse problems.

About the little sis.... I personally would help my SO help her. Unless I was really close to the sis, I think I would feel like I was stepping on her toes, and, it can be embarassing for "stangers" to try and talk to you about such a personal thing like suicide. Offering for the sis to stay with you is a good idea. The distance makes it harder. I'd say have some nights out, invite her over for dinner, etc.

8. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

+1 on letting the sister stay with you guys

9. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Confirm Celiac disease with a second opinion. Have samples of biopsy taken using either a lower G.I. or upper G.I. endoscopy. Request infectious disease be sought in the sample. Often physicians will assume genetics if a primary family member has the disease, Mother, Father, Brother, Sister, Son Daughter etc. However, even with a family member with it, it would be foolish to assume it's just genetic and to leave it at that. I tell people even with family with autoimmune disorders to always search, because chances are something environmental is the trigger. I believe this to be true in many cases, and any good medical physician would tell you "Viral or Bacterial" infections can lead to Celiac, and thus potentially be solved. So make sure you do your homework on choosing the physician. RateMD.com may be able to help you find one quickly based on ratings.

It also doesn't hurt to run blood testing to confirm, which they may have done. If they've done all three already, you're still not dead in the water. Cross reference all diseases that can be misdiagnosed as Celiac Disease.

(1) Reference, WrongDiagnosis.Com

Here is a list of diseases commonly associated with Celiac, where Celiac is the misdiagnosis and one of these may in-fact be the cause:The little sister, I don't know her case, or the details of how she came to hate her mother. Children don't impulsively take sleeping pills because of a fight or argument with a parent. Chances are more is going on than we know, and it may involve the mother or it may not. Sometimes parents are scapegoated when the child experiences an event with someone else, but the child then takes it out on the parent, and thus a fight begins.

Finding out what exactly is going on with the girl is important. She may or may not be willing to talk, but questions need to be asked to get to the root. Sometimes kids will only tell you the surface story, embarrassed or ashamed of something deeper, so dig -- it may be unpleasant but dig.

Now this advice is for your fiance, rather than you directly. With suicide attempts, counseling is a default. So obviously that's on the table.

For you, all you can do is encourage your finance with her health, to seek out the best physicians, and to not settle on this diagnosis just because one physician told her. If she's having digestive problems or other health problems besides that, the overall picture needs to be looked at. Is she only experiencing abdominal complaints? Is she experiencing other things?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  10. SIGirl

SIGirl Super Duper Moderator Super Moderator

If you need any help with the Celiac I can give you tons of information. There are a lot of foods she can still eat and a lot of restaurants now have gluten free menus. My son is the only person in my family that has it and we have learned a lot so feel free to pm me.

11. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Cheese Tray.

12. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

I know this is way off-subject, but I'm so shocked at the fact they are from Rockledge. My best friend is from there, I wonder if he knows her.