SRS Fiancee is sick and constantly in pain

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ameter, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

My fiancee has lately been having severe stomach/pelvic pains. First time was a month and a half ago. After a day in the waiting rooms, the doctors eventually said she probably had a cyst that burst, and sent her home with some tylenol 3s.

A few days later, she still felt sick, but wasn't in much pain. Fastforward until Tuesday, she was in extreme pain all morning. When I woke up and found out, I took her to the hospital again. We spent about 14 hours total waiting, eventually to have the doctors say the same thing (cyst).

The pain for this one was different and worse than the previous incident. They doped her up on morphine and sent her home. Last night, the pain came back so severe that she could barely breathe. They had given her some perkacepts (sp?) and she took an overdose (3 in 3.5 hours as opposed to max 2 every 4-6 hrs), and they did nothing for her. The doctors again doped her up with morphine, and sent her home, with a prescription for some anti inflammatories.

To make matters worse, because of the pain, she's been missing work, and she just started a new job, so we're still in a severe financial crunch. I'm already working 60 hours a week and looking into finding a weekend job to be able to make ends meet.

:sadwavey:

Anyone have any idea what could be the problem?

2. Dahlia

Dahlia Active Member

I would get some second and third opinions.. Obviously these docs are not doing their job.

3. Rivehn

Rivehn New Member

fuck i just typed a shitload and its gone fucker

anyway

I had chest pains, couldnt breathe..couldnt sleep.. extreme pain...

went to hospital they doped me up and sent me home with anti inflamatories aswell.

I went to my doc they said oh it must have been bad heartburn..(it was happening like for like 9 months)

It came back, I did my research... and went back to the doc and they ran the tests... I was right.. turned out to be gallstones.

I had my gallbladder removed the next week

If you suspect that is it, lay off any fatty foods.. the stomach will call upon the gallbladder to release bile to digest fatty foods and it contracts and causes the most fucking painful fucking pain ever...

My attacks really only came at night, when you lay down other organs put pressure on the gallbladder and it is easier for a stone to be released into the duct because when you stand gravity plays a part to keep the stones down.

so, that is my diagnosis

Dr. Rivehn

4. katt_85

katt_85 OT Supporter

Get her to a gynocologist if you can. She needs someone that can give her a look over and run apropriate tests. A while back my mother was in a similar situation and she had to fight with them until she forced them to give her a referal because they kept throwing pills at her. If it is something serious, it is important that you find out sooner rather than later.

5. Plasma

Plasma New Member

Take her to as many hospitals as you can until they identify what's wrong with her.

It's obviously not as simple as they make out.

Appendix?

6. no lol today

no lol today Soy la bailarina de la muerta. OT Supporter

Go to the ER/a doc's office when she isn't in horrible, debilitating, gut wrenching pain!!!

If pain is the main reason you say you're there then they'll only deal w/the pain.

You have to approach w/a VERY SPECIFIC request or you won't get what you really want from the visit. You may want to go to a general practitioner - someone who has more time to devote to your fiance than someone in the ER. Some will go on a sliding scale or cut you some breaks if you voice your financial situation & the seriousness of the ailment. She'll have to go through the usual explanation of what's going on - if you can't go with her to help remind (She's likely to be preoccupied & not remember all she should) then see if she can bring a list of ideas & requests.

I usually bring a list to the doc - even when my own fiance accompanies me. haha. In stead of stating 1 single purpose for the appt. I just tell them I have a list & what the list is mainly regarding. Then when I see the doc they're a little prepared to tackle multiple topics & are more open minded about the possibilities/treatment.

I'm disabled w/a condition that can't be cured & have been through a grip of docs. I know what it's like to have no $ & to have to throw what you don't have at medical care. Good luck getting your girl fixed up!

7. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

they checked her appendix each time

and we're trying to get her a gynecologist recommendation

8. WildwoodOne

WildwoodOne New Member

I agree with the second opinion idea. I had abd. pain and went to ER. They told me It was just afterbirth pain because I had my daughter about 2 weeks earlier. 24 hours and 24 Tylenol #3's later I was back at the hospital going into surgery at 2 AM with a ruptured appendix.

9. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

If there's anything I've learned about doctors, it's don't trust them and do the research yourself. If they tell you they don't know or that there's nothing wrong with you, find a different doctor.

10. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I also recommend another hospital, preferrably a good one in a big city (aka more resources,knowledge) your gf deserves the best of the best, not being send back home by some shit doctor.

11. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

we went to the largest one in a city of a million people :dunno:

12. Dahlia

Dahlia Active Member

My uncle had an ear problem and the docs kept saying it was nothing, dont worry...

He kept waiting for a second opinion, and now found out from another doc that he has something seriously wrong with it(can't remember what) and its quite possible he will loose all hearing in that ear.

The body isn't in pain just for shits and giggles, its in pain because SOMETHING IS SERIOUSLY wrong and needs to be addressed. DO NOT wait much longer to go get other opinions. The longer you wait the less time you have to catch something serious before it gets too bad.(thats if it is something serious, but you never want to take a chance)

13. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

14. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

we're still waiting to hear back from the referral request

15. Plasma

Plasma New Member

I cant believe your still here.

Open a business directory, find other hospitals. Drive to them.

My god.

16. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

My wife had some bad and constant neck pains. She went to the first doctor who told her to get some sleep and take some tylenol. That didnt help. Next doctor told her she didnt have anything wrong with her, but if she wanted he would refer her to a neurosurgeon. She went to the neurosurgeron, he had an MRI done and CT scan and all that fun stuff. Ended up saying she had a minor herniated disk, that she should get some rest and a week or so of PT. Then she went to the physical therapist, after his first day with her, he set her up for a month of PT and sent her back to the neurosurgeon. Neuorsurgeon still wouldnt do anything else, so her PT said to go to anothere one. Apparently things were WAY more severe than anyone else had said before and after another doctor at Vanderbilt confirmed things, she is now setup for surgery.

Point being.....doctors are wrong all the time. Even good doctors. And honestly, ive come to believe there are very few good doctors out there as I have run into the same problems.

17. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

you're an idiot

18. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

14 hours in a waiting room wtf?

19. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

the miracle of public health care

20. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

doctors are FTL sometimes