FI on a 93 camaro z28?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by NetChemica, Jan 13, 2005.

1. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

How do the Camaros handle forced induction? I'm the typical person having big hopes for his car (I'm 20). I'm buying El Tea Won's car, here's the mods as far as performance goes:

Art Carr competition 700R4 transmission – 800+ hp
    Art Carr 9.5" billet torque converter with anti-balloon plate
    25 miles on transmission/converter
    B&M stacked plate tranny cooler
    3.23 rear end
    Comp Cams Xtreme Energy 227/233 cam
    Comp Pro Magnum 1.6 ratio roller rocker arms
    EX .600" valvesprings
    EX guideplates
    EX hardened pushrods
    new valveseals
    new GM timing set/cam and crank gears
    all new gaskets

less than 100 miles on cam and new valvetrain parts

new rear main crankshaft seal
    Arizona Speed and Marine 1.75" headers - ceramic coated

Arizona Speed and Marine ceramic coated Y-Pipe
    Dynomax Bullet off road pipe
    SLP dual/dual stainless steel cat-back exhaust
    SLP cold air intake
    GM 1LE intake elbow
    GM 1LE a/c pulley
    Spohn tubular lower control arms
    Spohn LCA relocation brackets - weld in
    brand new GM OPTISPARK distributor - less than 25 miles
    new Taylor 8mm spark plug wires

new Bosch Platinum plugs
    PCMforless computer tuning

how much further should I go before safely dropping in a supercharger (more interested in a supercharger than a turbo, but I can be persuaded either way)?

BTW, if the El Tea Won sells his car before I get a chance to buy it, I will go for another LT1 camaro, so no feer.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  2. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

they handle it just fine, but you would be better off with a turbo insted of a supercharger.
    You're also going to want to switch cams out for a milder one designed for forced induction, upgrade the fuel system, and you're going to have to have the PCM reprogrammed. If you step up over 9psi, you're going to want to build the short block, and lower the compression ratio. The LT1 is a high compression engine, and while it responds well to mild boost, anything else will require a proper build.

3. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

is going the FI way worth the extra cost?

also, what is the downside of a remote mounted turbo? wouldn't there be massive lag?

4. NeoPaladin

NeoPaladin New Member

This guy definately knows what he's talking about. Turbo would be great on an LT1, but a CSC would be nice too.

I actually wouldn't run over 7psi with the stock motor. The LT1 really isn't very good at handling the FI from the factory. If you wanted, you could turn it into a true FI motor with forged slugs and a cam with a ton of exhaust duration, but how far you really want to take it is your call.

In addition, how many miles does the motor have on it? If it's anything more than, say, 100,000, I'd do a complete teardown before you even begin to consider any significant mods. LT1's are very reliable, but it pays to be safe, especially when you're considering FI. Plus, you'll be able to replace some of the goodies in there with some nicer stuff (i.e. ARP head studs and main bolts, forged crank, etc.).

Best of luck. Sounds like a killer build.

5. MAD PUNK inDC

depends on what you want. IF you want a daily driven car, that can really put the shit down at the track, then yeah the extra expense of a turbo is well worth it. However if you just want an all out beast, just for the track, you might want to look at a nitrous motor with large displacement. In any case, your going to spend some money here.
    Also there are already several turbo kits out there for the LT1 F-bodys, and believe me, even the large single turbo kits have no problems with lag. The engine is more than large enough to eliminate the issues. I once had a T-76 on my LS1 F-body, and I had problems with spinning off the line if that gives you any idecation of how little of a problem lag is.

6. Serialpimp

Serialpimp New Member

ATI PROCHARGER

7. MAD PUNK inDC

I've had experiance with the ATI units, and using a turbo. While the ATI procharger is a great system and is definately high quality, no supercharger will ever beat the easy street manors and efficiantcy of a good turbo setup.

8. Serialpimp

Serialpimp New Member

You can setup an ATI for $4500,
    You can setup a nice Turbo for $6800

The turbo is the better setup, and you can go farther with it

9. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

any links for an induction system on an LT1?

10. MAD PUNK inDC

try camaroz28.com they have alot of good tech info there. Also alot of the guys on ls1tech.com could be able to help you, even though you are planning a build on an LT1. Also if you need too, you can PM me. To give you an idea, I run FI on both the LT1 and LS1, and converted my 95 Z28 to a complete LS1 drive line from a wrecked 99 WS6.

11. Grand Master Z

Grand Master Z New Member

The remote mount turbo's are a bit scary if you ask me. They mount the turbo on the muffler hanger. Now would you really want a glowing red hot turbo under the car? Also the air intake is also located under the car, so now there are two things under there that you wouldn't want getting wet, or the filter could even fall off like it's done on my K&N FIPK on my car and it fits pretty tight.

What are your goals as far as power numbers?

12. MAD PUNK inDC

there is no reason to go with a remote mounted turbo on an F-body. There are already kits for the LT1, starting around $3700 that place the turbo were it should be, right off the exhaust manifold.

13. My84Z

My84Z New Member

The lt1 has high compression 10.5 to1 I would not go over 6 pounds on that car. Also get injectors and a fuel pump.

14. My84Z

My84Z New Member

Also that cam is better suited for a charger then a turbo. what lsa is it?

15. KillerJello

KillerJello New Member

what he said.......but from the mod list that you have your engine isnt stock so it wont have stock compression.

have a compression test done. once you find that out you will have a better idea of what you can boost supercharger wise.

if i were you i would look into getting an sts turbo (which i am getting...............i have a 97 z28) go to ststurbo.com or JLturbo.com (both kits are owned by the same people so it doesnt matter which one you buy from, but you can get all your info from those sites. They are doing amazing things with their turbo kits. The kits are kinda unique, but you cant argue with the results.

16. KillerJello

KillerJello New Member

they make shields to prevent water getting in it..........trust me they have thought of that

http://www.jlturbo.com/filter_guard.htm (pictures of their prototype cover for the air filter)

and there you can see wher the turbo actually sits. (plus looking at our engine bay a rear mount turbo kit isnt a bad idea........it give you more room to fit intercooler piping up front and other various things.)

17. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

lol, prototype? looks just like basic cut out sheetmetal.

18. KillerJello

KillerJello New Member

its just a first attempt at trying to cover the filter.

give them a break, besides look around at their site and the rwhp numbers that they are getting..........you have to admit that its pretty impressive

19. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

sucks that I'm seeing so many modded camaros. I'm most likely getting a formula (got an offer I couldn't resist)

20. 945liter

945liter New Member

Why spend all that money to run low boost? Lt1s like spray i would go with 150wet and call it a day.:)

21. Serialpimp

Serialpimp New Member

I would spray it,

I has spray on my LS1, loved it

22. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

What's your average refill run at?

and I would also like to run this on the street (the turbo), kinda nice to hear the "pshhhhhhh" when you shift.

23. Serialpimp

Serialpimp New Member

kinda nice to spend $600 and be fast when you want,
    instead of spending $6000

24. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

but for $6000 you get to floor it more than ten times

25. MAD PUNK inDC

Been there, done that, and thats the quick way to a spun bearing, or a cracked piston. Seriously, the LT1's intake manifold does not like to take heavy wet shots of nitrous from a spray plate, it doesn't distribute evenly to all the cylinders. If you're going to go for that much nirtous, it's better to use a fogger setup.

after owning an F-body that has run nitrous and a turbo on two differant engines, I can definatly say that going turbo is way better.

Also I would not run a remote turbo system. I've already said this plenty of times, but I will say it again. There are already several, reliable turbo setups for the F-body, that mount the turbo in the engine bay. It's not nearly as cramped or as hard to instal as you would think, and heat has not been an issue.