A&P FFuuu...Joined dSLR crew, having Rebel remorse.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Aero277, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Aero277

Aero277 OT Supporter

So after selling my S5is, I debated quite a bit about what dslr to upgrade to. First there was the Canon/Nikon problem, and then there was what model to go with.

My goal was to spend close to $500 or so for a decent body that could get me started in this expensive-ass hobby, and still have money for a decent starter lens. I ruled out Nikon because I didn't like the d3000 or even the d5000, the only body that intrigued me was the d90, which was way out of my price range.

When I decided to go Canon, I debated between the 40D or the XSi. My friend offered me his XSi for 425 w/ 50mm f/1.8 + extras, so I decided to take him up on it.

Now I'm reading a lot of shit making me feel retarded. I really do like my XSi, but I obviously would like to benefit from the 40D's superior build quality, equal/better(?) IQ, better button layout, etc. At the same time though, for the extra cost of going to the 40d, I could buy some glass to get me started and upgrade bodies in a few years when I can afford the new hotness of the time.

So...Did I do okay? Did I fuck up? Should I resell my XSi and try to get a 40d?

/rant

Cliffs: Bought an XSi, now wishing I had just spent extra for the 40D.

2. nine

nine OT Supporter

i think you answered your own question.

i've had my rebel XT for years, i have no problem with it. then again im not a pro.

would i like a better body? sure.

is it necessary? not at all.

3. Aero277

Aero277 OT Supporter

I suppose that's true...I've just always had a really bad problem with shit like this. I hate knowing that I could have better.

4. fallenauthority

fallenauthority OT Supporter

Everybody could always have better. If you have the best now, it wont be the best in two weeks. Its just the way the world works.

5. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

Thankfully Heinz talked me out of a rebel. I would have hated it in a month.

I hope you have a diff lens besides that 50. Very awkward range on a crop.

6. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

Welcome. Learn with what you have, save for bigger and better when you learn.

7. wrong1

wrong1 Member

:werd: and with any luck you'll realize you should have gone nikon :bigthumb:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  8. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Its a fine camera and you'll learn all about depth of field, composition, processing, flash both on/off camera with it.

9. Aero277

Aero277 OT Supporter

See...my main fear is that I'll outgrow the Rebel fairly quickly. I've already had extensive processing experience, and using the S5, I'm extremely comfortable with manual controls, DoF, and composition, etc. The only thing that I'm obviously not experienced with are lenses and on/off camera flash, there I'm pretty much an utter noob.

I would have loved to get a baller Nikon, but my main gripe with the Nikons within my price range was the lack of an autofocus motor built into the body. If the D90 was within my price range, I'd have gladly jumped all over it.

And yes...the 50mm is a nice little piece, but like it was said earlier...very awkward when it comes in at around 80mm on the crop body. It's extremely nice in lowlight though.

I figure, I'll keep the XSi and use the money I would have spent on a more expensive body on a zoom or wide angle lens.

10. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

i'm hearing a whole lot of "what if" remorse from you, but not one single complaint so far. with this attitude, you will only think negatively and try to look for shit you don't like.

use the damn camera and figure out down the road if you want something else.

i owned the canon s5 is before making my jump to the dslr crew in july. i bought the d90. any rebel, though, makes the canon s5 is look like a shitty point and shoot. at iso 200 on that s5, it looked like what the rebel will look like at iso 1600. the s5 sucked in comparison. i always had to shoot it at iso 80.

11. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

when I had my XT I wanted a 40D.

I have my 40D and now I want a 7D.

it NEVER ends!

12. Aero277

Aero277 OT Supporter

:o You got me.

Yeah, to the positive things...the XSi definitely blows the S5 out of the water. I thought the S5 was pretty baller, if anything for the manual features, but the one thing I hated was that I HAD to keep ISO below 200, the drop off after that was ridiculously awful.

The first day I had the XSi, I didn't get to play with it until after work, at which point I only had my dim living room to shoot in. With the nifty fifty, at 1600, I still got pretty nice shots without flash. The ability to shoot lowlight without flash and comfortably bump ISO up is the very reason I got a dslr.

[​IMG]
    Mah doggah at f/1.8, iso 1600

13. mrtwo

mrtwo New Member

ive had a rebel for a year and some... its good foundation, then went through a 40d... then a 5d. look into a tamron 17-50

14. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

Truth.

Learn/practice with what you have now, get nicer glass, THEN upgrade the body.

15. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

Glass>>>>>>>>body. /thread. get decent glass, and worry about upgrading your body later.

16. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

I started with a Rebel and upgraded as I needed the additional features. You got a pretty good deal on that kit, so when you feel you've outgrown the XSi you can resell it at little to no loss and upgrade to a better body.

17. mikmit

mikmit :o? OT Supporter

i enjoyed my xsi but quickly upgraded to the 40D, without the glass. thats what i regret most because i could have just got nice glass with my xsi and it woudl have been superb but then i got the 40D with my shit glass (18-55, 50 1.8) and i never got to really enjoy it. i traded my xsi + 150 bucks for my 40D to a dealer so it wasnt that bad.

i did recently upgrade again but i havent had a chance to use it in the last 2 weeks :(

18. mr_ecktid

mr_ecktid New Member

same here bro, but now instead of worrying about better body, i'd rather practice my skills on an xsi and upgrade when i can actually make good use of the better body.

plus investing in glass is better than the body, could've upped to the 40d but ended up getting a tamron 17-50 and 85/1.8 :)

19. High_Boost

High_Boost New Member

dont worry about it, you got a great entry level slr for a great price - when you have outgrown the it, you will be able to sell it and you wont loose any money..

your 50mm will always be worth $50+, so you got the xsi body for $375..
    you will be able to sell it for that much (or more) for the next 1-2 years

thats plenty of time to learn/play/save up for an upgrade

p.s. - what does the 40d offer that your xsi doesnt?
    nothing really, a little sturdier case and the feeling of having a prosumer camera.. wait untill you can afford a real upgrade, 7D, or maybe a 60D if it ever comes out

20. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

[​IMG] list of differences will come soon

21. tun

tun Active Member

don't worry about getting better gear and worry about becoming a better photographer :o

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  22. Cesium

Cesium OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13918/2444; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

I like the term 'rebel remorse'.

23. mikmit

mikmit :o? OT Supporter

i lold

24. Heinzanova

Heinzanova OT Supporter

Dats right now suck my cock to thank me

Again where is that bj?

Then once you get all you want in Canon, you will start buying Nikon bodies and lenses to fill the void...
    (maybe you will want a D700 + 14-24) or some shit you don't have... IE like my jump to both sides to have a 1.2L 50 and 85

Wisdom.

I know a few pros who actually carry rebels with them... cheap backup bodies and if they go on a trip to keep it light...Then they strap on a heavy L lens.

Skill > Glass > Body > little penis

25. guest

the XSi is still a good camera. It can do Live View contrast detect focus whereas the 40d you an only manual focus in Live View. With Live View contrast detect focus you can magnify the target like 10x and get pin point focusing in situations that require high precision.