GUN FFL fee wtf? Need FFL help in Illinois!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by THT, Oct 4, 2006.

1. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Went to two places to find out how much it would be to have my AR15 transferred. One place wanted 10% of the cost of the rifle, the other wanted to apply their profit margin to the $1,200 price tag...WTF?! They cited the fact that they could have ordered it...and I would have paid $1,500-$1,700 for it.

Anyone in IL that can suggest a place that will do transfers for less than $100, preferably around the Joliet area?

Also, is it possible to pick up the rifle in Colona, direct from RRA?

2. islanderman7

islanderman7 New Member

wow thats total bullshit! in cali the maximum an FFL dealer can charge for a transfer fee is 35.

sorry dont know much about gun laws in illinois.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Find other gun shops, some get pissy when they don't get to make a profit on their own markup. I recommend you check out pawnshops. They don't get pussyhurt you aren't buying from them. Around my part of the state I can do transfers all day at 20-25

4. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

5. THT

I'm down by Joliet...I'm willing to drive an hour each way if that means I can pay $50 or less.

6. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

gun broker has the same thing by zipcode. fuck those overcharging assholes.

7. THT

8. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

I called the Belleville Shooting Range and they said that they charge $50 per package. So if your order was 2 packages it will cost you $100.

So I said screw that and went to an FFL down inSo Il that a guy runs out of a shed in his side yard. Only charged me $25.
    He didnt have a fax machine but it was worth saving the extra money. Plus I gotta look around there a little too. Some of the prices if youre paying cash arent too bad.

9. Gimik

Gimik New Member

wow. fuck that.

10. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

A lot of gun places discouage FFL transfers of products they sell so they jack of the prices since you didnt buy from them.. find another FFL

11. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

AFCOM has some members with ffls that do itfree in GA :)

12. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

I would have laughed in their faces.

13. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I know some that try and charge you sales tax on the price of the gun too, which is bullshit, and probably is against ATF regulations. They can charge you sales tax on the transfer fee, but not the value of the gun.

Some of these FFL's are shady cocksuckers.

14. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

not true. The most that they can charge for DROS/DOJ fees is 35 bucks, they can charge however much they want other wise, as long as they let you know that only 35 is going to the state, and that they pocket the rest.

15. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

I am not saying it's right to charge a whole bunch of money for a transfer, but I can totally understand where they are coming from. Selling guns is a tough business. There is not a whole lot of profit to be made, and TONS of overhead. This is compounded by internet sales. I think if someone purchased from somewhere else, and I had the same thing in stock I would be a little offended that I was not given a chance to negotiate my price. Most guns prices are not set in stone. It's a little different if the shop would have to order something. We all know how long the wait is on something like an AR-15. Support your local dealers whenever possible is my opinion.

16. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I would agree, except for the fact 99% of local dealers are complete fuck faces looking to gouge people and prey on new shooters. When my cousin turned 21 he went to local shops looking at Glock 19's, every single one tried to fuck him over, the lowest price he was quoted for one with fixed sites was $545, and that was before tax and all that shit, some were almost $600. :ugh:

When you see shops with those types of price tags on 9mm Glocks there is a problem, and I wouldn't even waste my time with them. Trying to find an honest gun dealer is like trying to find a honest car salesman, ain't going to happen very often.

17. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I've given local shops a chance on internet prices, and even the ones that price match say that they do not honor internet pricing at all.

18. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Most gun dealers act like complete assholes when you even mention an internet price. I wouldn't mind if the price difference was $20-$40, it would be worth it just to get it right now and avoid the hassle. Where they get you is sales tax. After you add on sales tax to the already higher price, which can be a lot depending on the type of gun, you are usually talking about $100 difference at least.

19. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

I agree with whats been said.

Everyones out there to make money, thats why I shop my options. Some people call it cheap, but I guarantee they do it more than I do! I am not patient and I pay more for things because of it! I know this for a fact.

But then again I dont give a shit how you make your money as much as you shouldnt give a shit how I do.. You rip me off for ammo @ your range and expect me to buy it? HA! Bring your price within $4 a box of walmart and I may buy it.. Until then I dont think it makes sense

I've bought every gun of mine locally, I dont see why they would dick me over and for the most part my loyalty has been rewarded. Like a demo gunlight for $40... So you win some, you lose some.. Just keep your options open

20. THT

My locals are pricks. They want close to $500 for a Mossberg M590A1 and will not bend. When I bought my USPc, I caught attitude from the manager...I almost walked out. I hope my locals go out of business because maybe then some decent shops can take their place. At any rate, I found one that will do it for $25 total.

21. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

I recently found a pawn shop a few minutes from my house that does $10 transfers. :bowdown: to them

22. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

more info on this? im in ga, and im trying to buy another AK tomorrow...

23. striker754

striker754 Chillin

an FFL tried to tell me that a nonlicensee cannot send guns to a licensee in any state, i laughed at him and told him that he missed out on the easiest money he would ever make. He then proceeded to tell me that transfers are not easy money. fucking idiot!

I really wish ATF would cap the transfer price or do something. Its fucking ridiculous.

24. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

*wacks you with a rolled up newspaper* Quit asking for more government regulation of what we do. :big grin:

It is surprising how mnay gun dealers will tell you it isn't easy money and they're not interesting like they're going to make you buy from there.

25. striker754

striker754 Chillin

Bah. If its already being regulated do something to help me out damnit!

Fuck that is the easiest money anyone can ever get. Here fill out this form. Let me call and let the phone sit on hold while i do other shit. I'll talk a little to the person on the phone and give you your gun.