FF4 gba > FF4 snes > FF4 DS

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by Boomdart, May 28, 2009.

1. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

Final Fantasy 4 DS is atrocious

First of all, it's hard as fuck. You have to grind like a mofo all the time everytime you get somewhere new. Having "auto-attack" really helps for the first half of the game, but in the majority of the second half it's not very helpful because you'll be concentrating on making sure you're staying alive.

I just got done with most everything, my characters are in mid level 70's because at lower levels I was just getting my ass kicked everywhere, and even at that level the Giant of Babel scenario was hard as hell just to make it to the incredibly hard bosses. Almost everything seemed to do like 2000+ dmg with each hit, and even at level 70 most the characters don't have twice that yet, and the whirlwind boss when you're fighting the four fiends again was ridiculous with her maelstrom attack, and a consecutive lightning to finish off your team in two fell swoops.

I think I have the best weapons I can get so far, I have asura and leviathan but I can't find odin anywhere in the castle he's supposed to be in... er..now that I think about it I think i might've been checking the wrong castle, anywell I'll get to that later. Still have to do the cave on the moon with the white dragon...

But shit, I don't think my characters have the outright power to traverse the 12 level lunar dungeon to reach the last boss, which I'm sure would beat my ass.

All that and I've only gone over how hard it is... not the fact that the added scenes are kinda meh and I don't generally like the characters at all they're too childish looking. augmentations are neat but if you put one on a character you're going to lose, it's gone forever. most of them don't really seem to be all that useful either. The twin charge attack I put on relm & edge is dumb because it only casts bravery on my team mates instead of some awesome attack :squint: I could go on and on, the voice acting isn't terrible all the time but I still don't like it at all.

I've never had this much trouble with FF4 on the gba (and i beat the hell out of it and the extra features) or the snes.

I really hope if they ever do make a FF6 DS or a 3d remake it won't be screwed up like FF4 was :squint::squint:

cliffs: game is too fucking hard, my guys are lvl 70+ and I feel weak as hell, I don't like much about the game at all and prefer the gba/snes versions

2. assclown

assclown Active Member

The only version of FF4 I've played is the DS version. I thought maybe I lost my RPG skills because it was hard. I'm glad you posted this because now I know I'm not going crazy.

I stopped playing at that dragon/snake (I don't remember) in the cave about a couple of hours in. I had to grind to get there and now I think I have to grind to beat it. The grinding completely turned me off and I don't think I'll end up playing the game further because I don't have the patience anymore. :hs:

3. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

:rofl: That's disappointing... I wanted to give the DS version a try, as well. Oh well... now I can avoid that.

4. georgexi

georgexi o.O OT Supporter

i heard the original Japanese FF4 was this difficult. is that true?

5. Barkode

Barkode Active Member

It's a good game, this guy is just a pussy.

6. Eticket109

Eticket109 Nibbles, chew through my ball sack. Moderator

The DS version is great. Yes the difficulty can be a bitch but the augments and added equipment are amazing. The toughest boss fight was Cagnazzo though. After that if you tweak your augments well you should be able to kill any other bosses with little difficulty.

The trick with augments is learning how to use them right. You have to plan for the 3rd playthrough, not the first. Any augments you get will stay on the characters for runs 2 and 3. The goal is to set it up so that you can tackle the 2 optional bosses at the end of run 3.

Make sure to fully explore every map as well as the moogle wannabe gives you some great shit. That is if you weren't lazy and did his quests.

7. hellodon

hellodon

The Japanese version of Final Fantasy 4 back in the day had 2 difficulty levels. There was the normal setting and then an easy setting. When it was released in the US, they gave us the Easy version (II on SNES) because they thought the game would be too hard for Americans (as, at the time, there were many more Japanese RPG's that were difficult so they were "used to" the challenge and we apparently werent).

For whatever reason, they decided to release this DS remake of the game with only the Hard setting from the original Japanese release. It ruined it for me. I got to a point where I was struggling with bosses so I was grinding, then I just could not beat a boss without going back and raising a shit load more levels so I just said fuck it - I dont want to have to grind for hours just to play a game - and up til that point I still hadnt run from even one fight.... It was cool and well done but it really did take away from the fun....it's one of my favorite games, but not when it's that hard.

8. Jonathan77

Jonathan77 Dreamer, Nostalgic with the state of mind

I enjoyed the challenge :dunno:. Still need to do a 2nd and 3rd playthrough.

9. juvental604

juvental604 I like to pee upside down OT Supporter

maybe you guys just suck? i bet it can be beat with out grinding

10. Shinta

Shinta New Member

The only hard part of FF4 DS was the final dungeon. Those blue and red dragons were a fucking nightmare also those Behemoths. Every single time I fought one of those I would use the "boss fight" routine (blink, haste, summons, and whatever else that will my ass alive).

11. Eticket109

I've been farming the Red Dragons for tails. On the upside I'm 99 on all characters now. They're pretty easy as long as you get Berserk up on them pretty fast so they don't do the Thermal Rays attack.

12. TeKKy

TeKKy Wut OT Supporter

I enjoyed FF4DS but do agree it was a bit harder than the original on SNES.

I enjoy the soundtrack though also since I like a lot of the updated tunes.

O yea FF4 > * crew signing in :o

13. Shinta

Shinta New Member

Thermal Rays fucked me up so many times. Did you get all the Pink Tails for the Adamant Armor? It took me forever to get all the special equipments. Funny thing is after putting that much time and effort into collecting those equipment I didn't even attempt the extra bosses :rofl:

14. Strife

Strife Active Member

I've been playing DQ7 and that shit has been pretty challenging, probably because I never grind since I'm waiting to get Melvin and Aira since that will round out my 4 person party.

But fuck, there's this boss fight against the Timesage and 2 minions in the clock tower dungeon that took me fucking forever.

The 2 minions can use a spell that resets the battle, so you have to kill them fast. Problem is the timesage does a shitload of damage so you're healing with 2 chars until you can get at least one minion down (at this point you have 3 chars, not 4). It seriously took me 2 hours to finish between the resets and me dying twice and having to walk through the dungeon again. Oh yea I'm only level 16 which is probably underleveled, considering I have almost 40 hours played at this point...

15. Eticket109

I fucked up on the pink tails. I sold my Crystal Mail after the first drop and couldn't figure out why Cecil was getting charmed. That pissed me off. I still managed to get a 2nd one pretty easily.

I got 2 of the shields and am working on 2 of the swords. Most of the other onion gear is useless. Once I get those two, I'll finish up and then farm a few more pink tails on my second run.

16. Los

Los Active Member

fags