Few questions...please help.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ThenameT, Feb 10, 2005.

1. ThenameT

ThenameT Guitar Player/Food Enthusiast

So im very interested in getting into building video games and what not. My best friend and I are HIGHLY considering doing this for a living once we get out of college. If there are ANY gamers in here, can you give me advice how to get into the video game business? Also, I was reading some threads on bungie.net, and something called a "computer mod" came up. What is this? If you could help me out I would be very grateful. Thanks!

2. MP

MP New Member

go to college
    get degree
    get job :dunno:

a degree from most major colleges should get your foot in the door no prob. I know mine we get offers @ ibm, and so forth right when we graduate

3. ThenameT

ThenameT Guitar Player/Food Enthusiast

Ok, does anyone know what a computer mod is?

4. zabuni

zabuni New Member

A mod is a modification to an existing game. For example, CounterStrike is a Half Life mod. Doing such work gives potential hirers examples of what you can code. It's basically a way to get experience in the field without getting a job, by either creating a mod, or contributing to an existing one.

5. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

doesn't d_nice do this?

6. zabuni

zabuni New Member

D_nice appears to be doing something very similar: updating a old game to newer models. This is also a way to try and get into the game business.

7. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Guest

best way to start is come up w/ a good idea of a video game, try to make it, then send it out to different companies. I believe Halo started out with a small group of guys who came up with the game, someone from Microsoft saw it and bought it for big bucks from them. Theyre currently sitting in their mansion hax0ring at CSS.