MIL Few questions I've got

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by x deaD piXeL, May 12, 2006.

1. x deaD piXeL

x deaD piXeL Turn up the fucking music!

Last year in November, I joined the National Guard. I didn't know anything about the other branches and all my friends were going to do it, so I followed. I was the second person to actually join though from my school. So far I love it..but I want more. June 1st is my ship date for basic training which I will have in Fort Sill, OK. I have a few questions and please answer respectfully without any spam. The reason I have questions is because I'm considering going to ROTC after graduating AIT if possible. Right now I'm an e-3. I started as an E-1 in December, got E-3 last month. Not bad I don't think. Here's my questions and please excuse my ignorance.

1-What is the difference between WO and O? How do you get WO exactly?
    2-Does the service WANT you as an officer or would they rather have you just as a regular enlisted soldier?
    3-If I have a 6 year contract with the other half of my enlistment bonus coming during the 4th year of enlistment and I start ROTC to become an officer, do I still get that other half of my enlistment bonus?
    4-How much different is being an officer than a regular enlistee? I'm interested in full time officer even though I'm serving part time now (national guard).
    5-Is this even possible to do?
    6-If so, what are the requirements and do I have to pay for ROTC whatsoever?

I don't know too much about anything other than enlistees/NCO's because nobody that I know has really dealt with them. The reason of this choice I want to make is that I've heard it's so much better, you get respected alot more. Things are less stressful. I really don't know though, so that's why I'm asking.

Thanks guys!

2. Twisted STi

Twisted STi All wheel or no wheel OT Supporter

Usually by asking like this, you would get abnormal amount of spam. but im in a giving mood, so I'll answer as best I can :)

And I don't have any hard info on this subject matter, so I may be wrong and hopefully someone else can come in to correct me.

WO and CWO are basically masters of their field, who want to go in a slightly differrent direction in their career than if they had stayed enlisted. From what I've seen, they usually have duties that are more akin to that of a regular officer, in that they are running the show and have the exerience to back them up.

A regular officer, on the other hand, usually doesn't know jack about what's going on. He read reports and tries to analyze numbers on a sheet of paper in order to make descisions about something they have little to no experience in (im talking o1, o2 here).

Night and day. Black and White. Shiny chevrons and black chevrons.

Question 2, I have absolutely no idea. If you get accepted as an officer, than they want you as an officer :dunno: 3, 5 and 6 should be more easily and more thoroughly explained by your friendly neighborhood recruiter.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. Unless you want to count the grudging respect that is arbitrarily given in the form of a salute and being called Sir. It does not matter what you rank is, real respect is given to those that earn it. And that's what really counts.

3. Twisted STi

Twisted STi All wheel or no wheel OT Supporter

cliffs: my advice, do not stray to the dark side. Stay enlisted for the real experience of being in the military.

And now, I gotta get back to work, gotta have the shit ready for day crew and I'm behind.

4. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Warrant Officer is the best rank in my opinion. Experience and knowledge of being enlisted with the responsibility and pay of being an Officer. Warrants also receive the best training.

5. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

Stay enlisted if you want to be normal and just average. If you have the chance to be officer go officer because you will already enlisted and shit some of the shit. You should strive to be the best and advance more and more. Going officer allows you to achieve higher in the military. i'm enlisted and can vouch that anyone who says t say enlisted is jut saying that becasue their window to be officer has passed or they don't feel they could make it. Its like saying be comfortable with a high school diploma and not try for college degree.

spelling and grammar may be off cuz i'm drunk but the meaning is the same

6. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

Also while in the guard you will be an E-5 cadet when you sign the contract for ROTC. You will drill as an officer in training. I've known very good SNCO's and My opinion is if you can go officer then do it no matter what the disadvantage. you will have served as enlisted so you will be a better leader as an officer.