MIL Few questions before I sign.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Persephone, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Persephone

Persephone New Member

I have taken my ASVAB and scored a 76. I am going to MEPS to take my physical and pick my job next weekend but my question is this....

Can I pick the date in which I leave? I ask because I want to lock myself in now but still have about a month in which to get into shape before I leave for basic.

Any advice anyone can give me on choosing a job or any general advice at all about joining before I go?

I would like to do something in the medical field that will transition well into the civilian life once I get out. Also, does the Army still offer a 2yr or 3yr option?

thanks ahead guys.

2. Persephone

Persephone New Member

Also, seeing as though I did decently on the ASVAB would it be wise for me to consider joining the airforce or navy rather than the army? Seeing as though I want to do something medical related could i get better training elsewhere rather than the army?

On a side note, my older brother was giving me shit about ONLY getting a 76 after I have been smoking pot and doing NOTHING but waiting tables since I graduated in 02. He took his RIGHT after highschool and scored a 98 and told me I was a dumbshit for not scoring higher....

Only difference is he got himself a felony 6 months afterwards for distribution and possession when he failed his drug test at MEPS and then was busted selling over a pound to an undercover 3 months later...but I'm the dumbshit right?

Sorry had to vent about the last part, I'm sure someone can relate to that.

3. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Medical? Go talk to teh AF

4. Persephone

Persephone New Member

Does the army just not offer anything worthwhile or would I just get better pay/education in the air force?

I'm just looking for a 2yr contract in order to get myself some money for schooling or maybe training for a job once I get out.

The reason I was leaning towards the army is that is the most physically demanding aside from the marines. I would like a good mix of both seeing that I am joining to build myself mentally and physically.

5. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

do they even have 2 year contracts any more? and you probably wont get a medical related job with less than a 4 year contract. if anything, do something for 3 years for full MGIB benefits then get out and goto med school.

6. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

For serious medical jobs that transfer over your training alone is gonna be over a year long; so they aren't gonna give you any 2 year contracts and most likely not 3..

7. Persephone

Persephone New Member

Well a 2yr contract is not a MUST. I just want to better myself and I have always wanted to do something in the medical field for the job security and the satisfaction of helping others like my mother.(R.I.P)

Psychical therapy or nursing was going to be my major but the money it takes to go to school for that is beyond me. Hence the military option.

I have just skimmed over the careers in the air force and I have to ask this.

1. With a GED can I get into the air force? Having scored what I did on the ASVAB and with no college credits will that hinder me in anyway?

2. By joining the Air Force could I become an ACTUAL therapist or nurse rather than an apprentice or would I need to continue my education after I get out to achieve this?

3. Will I still be deployed to Iraq if I choose this route instead? I'm not worried about it, I would actually like to even for a year just to save all the money I can and to have that experience.

8. Persephone

Persephone New Member

Never mind. It seems the air force isn't an option with a GED and no college even with my ASVAB score....

9. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

You should try the Army. I'm friends with someone in Special Forces (he's a combat medic here at Torii Station), and he's part of some 1-1 group out of Ft. Bragg. I don't know any details, but he and his combat medic folks know their medical shit.

10. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

If you want a 2 year option, and money for school, then you might want to look elsewhere.

11. Persephone

Persephone New Member

It's almost as if you aren't even reading what I'm posting nor answering any questions I ask.

Thanks anyway though I do appreciate it guys. Guess I'll have to look else where for advice.

12. Persephone

Persephone New Member

This is probably the most helpful in the fact that I didn't even know you needed to do 3 or more years to get full benefits.

13. FSTMX5

FSTMX5 New Member

2 year contract?!

wat

14. Persephone

Persephone New Member

lock plz.

15. RRTX

RRTX New Member

With anything under a four year contract you are going to be very limited on what jobs they offer. To get any of the good medical jobs that lead to certifications that can be used in the civilian world you are looking at minimum four years with some having five or six minimum.

16. Persephone

Persephone New Member

That's perfectly fine by me. I can put in the time if need be. How bad would it be to get free training, a good and fulfilling job and free room and board for 4-6 years?

Thanks again guys. I found pretty in depth answers to these and many more questions on Military.com but it couldn't hurt to ask here too.

I guess here I'll be joining for a bit longer than I thought. :hsd:

17. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

:lockd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.