Few questions after first detail with porter cable

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Erik 94TransAm, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Erik 94TransAm

Erik 94TransAm New Member

This was my first detail with the PC so I'm assuming I will get better with time-but to be honest I didn't see some of the results that others do on here (there was improvement but not all the light scratches came out as I expected).

I have a few tips to use less product, spend more time, etc. which I am going to work on. However, my main question is this:

Should all the imperfections be out during the 1st phase (I started lighter but with only fair results I stepped it up to optimum hyper compound with a cutting pad) or will some of these imperfections go away once I put on a wax or polish?

I am going to throw a coat of wax on it as well, but my understanding is that all imperfections should be out when using the compound and the wax or polish just adds more depth to the color.

Thanks for any input.

2. xxpanipuri

xxpanipuri Gideeyup Motherfuckers....

in for response from the pros' :big grin:

3. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Honestly guys, being that you do not compound and polish your cars that often (I polish 2-3 times a year) it is not going to hurt a darn thing with a PC at speed 6 with a cutting pad and a heavy polish. Do not be afraid to step it up. The only way you are going to hurt your paint with a PC is if you physically drop the PC on the car.

If your imperfections are severe, no they will not come out the first time. I have spots on my Maxima that with PG and a rotary I cannot get out and they are not all the way through the paint. I am just not willing to buff that one spot out more decreasing the clear.

The best advice I have is read this thread:
    http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2965

Do not be afraid of the PC, you aren’t going to do damage. I put the PC on a car once on speed 6 with a heavy cutting compound and a cutting pad and left it in one spot for over 3 mins to see what damage it would do...nothing.

If you compound, you are going to need to step down to a polish and polish out the dullness that a compound leaves. Remember, a compound is not going to bring gloss, it’s a defect remover, and the polish pulls the gloss out and the wax or sealant seals that shine.

4. Paulie Walnuts

If you have questions after reading that thread on Megs post them here

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

In addition to what Nightwalker said, it could just be you have defects deep enough they cannot be completely removed. I have about 35 hours of polishing into my 626 over the last couple of years and there are defects that just aren't coming out. Not much I can do to remove them 100% but the polishing does round off the sharp edges of the defects so they aren't as visible.

6. Paulie Walnuts

Doesnt that drive you fucking nuts. I get worried sometimes because I am so anal that Im going to polish that clear right off. I gotta learn to live with it instead of compounding / polishing 2-3 times a year. Its not like that clear is going to grow back.

7. Erik 94TransAm

Erik 94TransAm New Member

Awesome-thanks a lot for the input. I just started reading these forums and how to detail in general so I'm still learning-I guess all the threads I saw were with amazing before and after pictures so I figured almost anything could be removed from the cars paint.

Good to see that I may have been doing this right after all. I will step it up to level 6 and give it another go to see if there is any improvement (think i only went to a 4 last time).

8. Scottwax

Remember though, I started with this-rear fender already polished, door was untouched. The whole car looked like that.

[​IMG]

Recent shot:

[​IMG]

9. Paulie Walnuts

No questioning the results my friend. Ok I just had sex Im tired, im going to bed.

10. Scottwax

I know, just wanted you to know why my car needed so much polishing-plus the paint is so friggin' soft it mars if you look at it wrong.

Who's sleeping in the wet spot? You or Megan? :mamoru:

11. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

That is a remarkable improvement! Wow - you earned your money!

12. Paulie Walnuts

Actually this time its me. Throw a towel down and wash the sheets tomorrow. She is on this kick right now everydamn night. Im 30 shes 22, Im starting not being able to keep up.

13. Paulie Walnuts

I get worried Im going to go through the clear because I polish so much.

Just got a sample of Wolfgang that I want to try but Im not sure its going to be any better than the 6 coats of Zaino there right now.

What I really really want to try is that Menzerna stuff you use Scott. Any possibility I could purchase 4-6 ozs from you?