A&P Few questions about local repair shops

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Valence, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

I have an older xg-m - I recently discovered *wasn't* broken after all. As it turns out, shutters don't necessarily advance if the batteries are dead.

So - I think it's time for a good cleaning, and I need the light seals replaced. Mainly the mirror needs to be cleaned, and I'm not sure I'd be very good at it. In the Houston area, where would you guys recommend I take this camera and have the light seals replaced and the camera cleaned?

If they do a good job I'll have a minolta maxxum 7000 for them to do as well.

Part 2

I need a budget negative scanner. Doesn't have to do color well - or scan an entire uncut roll of processed negatives- but I would like it to batch scan 5 to 6 negatives at a time. I plan on getting back into shooting and developing my own negatives but don't want to mess with a physical dark room for prints. So, recommendations?

2. AmosBanks

AmosBanks New Member

You should broaden your search to other places in the US. A slow Houston shop could take as long as another place in the US including ship time.

3. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

since you mention you're in Houston, check Precision Camera on Richmond. They're just inside 610 before the railroad tracks on Richmond. Good shop with good service. They'll tell you whether or not they can fix it, and do it fairly quick if they can.

4. Bloke

Bloke Banned

im selling my scanner in the yard sale. Nikon coolscan IV
    you want a changing bag, and i think the stainless spools are easier. try to find a Nikor stainless developing tank.

5. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

Bloke = you're pm box is full. Can you hold the scanner a week? From the experience I've had, I have an easier time with the plastic spools.

6. Bloke

Bloke Banned

really when i use the plastic ones the thing likes to bunch up on me, especially if its wet after i just ran another roll.

yes go ahead and send me a email not PM when you are ready

7. Bloke

Bloke Banned

8. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

well, i found a place here in houston called camera care center. Dude is an old indian guy, looks like ghandi. Shop is a mom and pop outfit but he's been doing camera repair for 30 years - and it's 65 bucks to do a complete "service" which includes cleaning, lubricating, and replacing light seals. Also picking up an MD 50mm 1.4 from the guy too - pretty good price.

I found target near me will develop negs (using the super xp2 or kodak c41 film) and place on target cd for about 3 bucks a roll. Bloke, I hesitate to buy a scanner and then not use it much after three months.

9. someonenew

never heard of them...Precision Camera has a pretty good rep:dunno:

10. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

Couldn't find a listing for precision camera in Houston using google. Would love a nice brick and morter camera store that doesn't mark everything up 50 % over online prices.

11. someonenew

12. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

oh yeah, i called those guys. they wanted 65 for cleaning and extra for the light seals. Might be a decent photo retail store though, not too far from me.

13. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

well i just picked my camera up from Camera Care Center here in Houston. It took me about two weeks to get around to picking it up, but I am impressed. It looks brand new- considering the camera is 30 years old. I haven't shot with it yet, but at the least he cleaned it very well and replaced the light seals. He did an incredible job from the looks of it. Complete maintenance, cleaning and light seal replacement in town for 65 bucks, can't beat it

14. Bloke

Bloke Banned

thats a really good prce! now get out and use it

15. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

:o Thought I shot a whole roll at our farm sat to find out the film didn't catch and was never threaded properly. I though the advance lever was too smooth - but something kept telling me it was ok, keep shooting - it'll be allright.

16. Bloke

Bloke Banned

you really need more practice