few newb questions

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Corporate Whore, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Corporate Whore

Corporate Whore New Member

I am thinking of buying a pickup, specifically a 93-95 ford ranger or chevy s-10, is there anything i sould look out for with those years? any reliability issues with either?

thanks in advance
    Scott
    IBSTFUnewb

2. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Get the V6 with either.

3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

yeah, with a ranger they made a 4.0 and a 3.0 V6 for those years, and even today. if you go S10, you've got the 4.3L V6 or the 2.2L I4.

also, keep in mind that the mazda B3000 and B4000 are ford rangers with a different grille. the 3000 is the 3.0L, the 4000 is the 4.0L. they make a 2600 or something for the 4 cylinder, but i wouldn't go with it unless you just really have some itching for a 4-banger.

the counterpart of the S10, the sonoma, is still equipped with the same engine options, but the cool thing about sonomas is that they hold their value better, due mainly to the fact that they come standard with more options, and you get more for your money most of the time. so, you've got 4 trucks to choose from now, with a multitude of engines.

4. Surgie

Surgie Mein Führer, I can walk!

if you go for a 94/95 s-series (1st years of the 2nd gen s-10 or sonoma), definitely stay away from the 2.2l 4-cyl and try to find the 4.3l v6. As for the v6 there were two versions offered, the CPI version which comes with 195hp and the TBI version which is somewhere around 160hp I believe. The CPI version isn't as common (unless its a blazer), you might be better off going for a 96 because thats when they switched to SFI and you're guaranteed 175-180hp (lf6 or l35 engines, much better heads than previous v6's as well). I wouldn't get a 94 as it was the first year of a new gen and those always have those first year glitches, I'd personally try to find a 96 S-10 SS myself. It'd have the 180hp l35 and the zq8 suspension.

The 93 s-series is the last year of the 1st gens, not sure what all engines were available but I believe its either the 2.5l 4, the 2.8l 6, or the 4.3l TBI. Both the 4 and the smaller 6 are crap :o

5. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

some of teh 93s have vortech goodness in them but lisetn to surgie i agree with every thing he said i jsut liek teh look of the first gen better

if you look at an earlier s10 check the front suspension the bushings like to wear out at about 80k the 4.3 is pretty much bomb proof teh auto trainies were ok but could have been better see if there is any sliping ect

looking at a 4x4 if it is push button make sure it works

if you get a blazer the back window will squaek andyou will have to deal with it imthinking of cnc milling some new stonger hinges for mine

do not get the 2.8 v6 they are total crap

6. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

the 4.3 didn't recieve vortec heads until 96. the 2.2 didn't get it until 98. and the SS has the HO 4.3, so yeah, it's a good one. they made them up until 98.