MMA Fertita Brothers Buy Pride

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by RMarks, Mar 19, 2007.

1. RMarks

RMarks New Member

Report: Fertitta Brothers Purchase PRIDE Fighting Championships for $65 Million

Slow down. Take a deep breath. And promise me you won’t go overboard or take this as gospel.

I’m serious now.

Remember: this isn’t a report from UFCjunkie.com, and doubters shouldn’t direct their anger and criticism toward us. We’re just delivering the message.

According to today’s episode of Sherdog’s The Savage Dog Show/BeatDown, UFC majority owners Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta have purchased the Japenese-based PRIDE Fighting Championships for a startling-low price of $65 million. (You can find a heated discussion on the Sherdog Forums.)

The show is relying an anonymous source that is said to be “very reliable,” and an official announcement is expected to come on Wednesday.

PRIDE, the UFC’s biggest competitor and perhaps the world’s most recognizable MMA organization, has reportedly suffered a variety of hardships during the past year. Rumors of its potential sale have circulated constantly in the past couple months, with current PRIDE USA Vice President Ed Fishman and the Zuffa LLC-owned UFC emerging as the two most-likely suitors.

The fact that the Fertittas, not Zuffa, are the rumored buyers is surprising at first take. Surely there’s more to the story, but we’ll have to wait.

PRIDE has publicly stated — numerous times — that the organization wasn’t for sale despite the reports saying otherwise. Today’s rumors would obviously hint otherwise.

So what would this mean for the UFC?

It’s hard to say without knowing the particulars. But of most importance would be the UFC’s access to PRIDE’s thoroughly impressive list of international fighters. The purchase could open the door for cross-promotion superfights that could destroy previous records for gates, attendance and pay-per-view revenue.

In any manner, I’ll have more news as it becomes available. For now, sit tight and try not to let the specualation get too far out of hand.

2. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

this rumor will never die

3. McClane

McClane Who Killed Marilyn?

Yet UFC.com, Pridefc.com, mmaweekly, or sherdog have nothing about this.
    It must be true. :dunno:

4. RMarks

RMarks New Member

Who knows if it's true or not, as of right now it's a rumor. We'll see when Wednesday rolls around.

5. Lester206

Lester206 inc

huge news for ufc if its true

6. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Uh only 65 mil?

7. Kuet

Kuet New Member

if this is true, id only be happy because of the cross promotion fights, otherwise i dont know why but i think the ufc will somehow ruin pride.

8. MR. Marti

MR. Marti New Member

i see only good things happening from this.

9. RMarks

RMarks New Member

I don't really see the UFC fucking pride up. I could see them running it like they're doing UFC/WEC. UFC has come a long way in the last few years, I can see them improving the organization(no more freak matches) and then having 3 organizations with 3 Champions in each weight class. Maybe once a year have the NYE "superbowl" show.

10. JayKimchee

JayKimchee OT Supporter

Looks like K-1 Heroes will be UFC's next competition since their coming to Showtime

11. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

sounds like bull shit, but we'll find out on wednesday now won't we :greddy:

As for everyting else, I wouldn't really care if Pride got bought out... As long as the top MMA organization still wanted to see good fights, guys like Fedor would still be on top of whichever organization pays the best.

12. Kuet

Kuet New Member

jesus, its all over mma weekly now too, and they are pretty much confirming it as much as they can without official announcement
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=3631&zoneid=2
    [​IMG]
    The rumors swirling around the sale of Pride FC have been ongoing for quite some time, but things flared up again on Monday when Sherdog.com started talking about strong rumors from some of their sources, who said that the deal has finally been struck.

MMAWeekly has confirmed with our own sources, including sources in Japan that are extremely close to the situation, that the deal has indeed been reached. From what we understand, Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta have come to an agreement that would put Pride in their hands. But remember, that is an agreement, not a finalized transaction. As with any business transaction as complex as the purchase of one company by another, things are never 100% finalized until the proverbial keys to the front door have finally changed hands.

With that said, unless something changes at the eleventh hour, it appears that Pride will soon fall under the ownership of the Fertitta brothers. According to our sources, the purchase is believed to include fighter contracts, Pride’s video library, and the Pride FC name brand. The issue of fighter contracts is one of the more touchy points, as there can be variables in each individual contract that will have to be dealt with, and no information has come forth that states which fighters would be included.

It was not immediately clear when the deal would be announced, although it is believed that Nobuyuki Sakikabara, the President & CEO Of Dream Stage Entertainment (Pride’s present owner), is traveling to the United States this week in regards to matters related to the agreement

13. EG6

EG6 OT Supporter

Only $65 mill? Man that is CHEAP...

I'm selfish and greedy in wanting them sold so we can see a bunch of cross-promotional fights but if UFC runs Pride as a seperate entity then they should do fine.

14. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

I believe it also has something to do with PRIDE having a HUGE amount of debt they would also have to pick up...

Anyway, I still see this as nothing but rumor until it is posted on ufc.com or pridefc.com....

15. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

65 million isnt cheap if yuo consider that they will also be taking on all of Pride's debt

16. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Exactly. They also said Sakikibara (sp?) will only walk away with $5 million cash of it.

17. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

I dont think he exactly makes alot of money right now anyways. He only owns like around 10%. And that is alot better than (I think it was the last Pride president) what the last guy got, which was to be found hanging in his hotel room by his own neck tie.

If this goes through, I would be interested to hear if they will finally announce who owned the rest of Pride

18. CallSecurityNow

CallSecurityNow OT Supporter

I hopes this happens. A lot of great talent will be coming to the UFC.

19. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

not really, they will stay in Pride with the Pride rules and they will have cross over matches. People seem to be overlooking that it is the Fertita's that have possibly bought Pride, not Zuffa

20. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

who else owns zuffa besides the fertittas?

21. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Not sure, but from what I was understanding from a few things that I was reading, this would be its own private company not related to Zuffa.

22. RMarks

RMarks New Member

I think I've heard they own a majority of Zuffa. I think it's been said Dana White owns a small piece of the company.

23. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

I have to say, there are too many major sites with contacts reporting this for it to not be true. I think that at the end of this year we are going to see the most spectacular New Years Eve fight card ever

24. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Plus, Josh Gross does really well with his reporting and waiting to say something until he is very sure that it is true. If he is reporting it, I believe it

25. McClane

McClane Who Killed Marilyn?

I haven't heard Gross say anything about it yet :dunno: