WEB Ferrari Maserati of Vancouver

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by scaryc, Nov 7, 2007.

1. scaryc

scaryc New Member

Some of you might remember me posting awhile back when I began creating the new website for Ferrari Maserati of Vancouver. It's been put on hold for a little while but I am back on the project now. I have redone much of it and would like some new feedback, I believe it has potential. I don't want to replace the old site with it until it's perfect.

The system is Joomla based, allowing the salespeople to manage inventory from a user-friendly backend via a third party automotive inventory script. Check it out and let me know of any suggestions, problems or comments. How does it look on your browser?

Here is the site being used now:
    http://ferrarimaseratiofvancouver.com

Here is my new site in development:
    http://rossdev.net/fmov

ps. let me know how fast the pages load, it seems to be loading very slow for me right now

2. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Loaded instantly here :dunno:

Looks ok, but I'd think Ferrari/maserati dealer would have a much more flashy website....

3. lim f(x) = f(a)

lim f(x) = f(a) New Member

Site being used now looks better

4. ijustwantpics

ijustwantpics New Member

I'd either try to get the top text on the same line or at least center the lower line. And yes a smoother text would look much better

5. c.a

c.a New Member

yeah, i agree, you need to use images for the links

6. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

7. scaryc

scaryc New Member

can you take a guess for me? then i'll tell you

8. alex1234

alex1234 New Member

The links at the top are hard to find.

You should make the image at the top something like an F430 and a Maserati, that ferrari looks the same as the silver maserati (is that the 599?).

Also make the image a link to the home page.

Site looks very plain.

9. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

I hate sites that resize your window. like back in the day when people use to change the color of the scroll bar ::shivers::

10. rtfm

rtfm omgwtfbbq

the original isn't great, but looks much better than the new

11. scaryc

scaryc New Member

that is a really strange problem with the links you are having. i've never seen that before.

the site is Joomla based.

thanks for the comments everyone, but can you try to give me some more pointers besides just saying "the old one looks better"

12. scaryc

scaryc New Member

To explain the situation further, I am a college student employed full time in the dealership owner's office. He asked me to take over the website after the dealership was quoted nearly 20,000 for a redesign. I told him that I've never done a project like this before and he agreed to be patient with me while I learn as I go. This is my attempt at it and that's why I'm asking for constructive criticism. Thanks for your help guys.

13. Zac

Zac New Member

If a exotic car dealership asked me to do a redesign I'd probably quote something similar... Sounds like the owner is trying to cheap out on the website and is going to get exactly what he paid for.

Suggestion-wise? Look more into colors and general design stuff first and then do a mock design. When you have a fairly good idea of what you want then start coding it.

You could also look for some free Joomla templates for ideas or to base your work off of.

14. dawgboye

dawgboye I'm a businessman who's commodity happens to be co

$20,000 isn't a bad price for an application based site with brand management and consistency issues as well as usability issues.

To get someone who truly understands all of these aspects and can handle the technical part of creating an application that works and works well (the primary differentiator between 99% of web projects and ones that are worth the money) is neither easy nor cheap.

No offense to the OP, but I believe you'd be doing your employer a disservice to continue working on this project. If they don't need an application to be built to manage inventory (many dealerships simply don't post their entire inventory up) or they want to use a pre-built application, then $20k is nuts. But for a site, done right, should probably cost them in the 10k range to design an integrate a pre-existing application.

15. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

all of the exotic car dealers sites ive seen have been super shitty.

i like yours, definitely a step up from the old one.

16. dawgboye

dawgboye I'm a businessman who's commodity happens to be co

This is sadly the case.