GUN Fenix L0P Cree XR-E mod

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 2L Bunny, Jan 20, 2007.

1. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I posted this over on CPF, but figured some people here might be interested:

After seeing the post about the L0P Seoul mod, I decided to give this a shot.

I have one of the first L0P's imported so I think they were a little epoxy happy, I had large O-rings and vice grips to separate the head and it finally budged as I was about to give up.

Shimming the emitter I went a little too far so there's a bit of a gap on the head. You can see a little leftover epoxy, I'm waiting for it to cure fully before I start scraping.
    I reamed the reflector out by hand using increasing sizes of drill bits until it fit over the Cree dome. Judging by the gap only one very small shim would have set the reflector height enough. I can tighten the head in all the way, but then I get the Cree rings with the hotspot, so I set it for flood. The output reminds a lot of the passaround CR2 Ion.

[​IMG]

The light now outputs a totally smooth flood, which for this light is perfect. Ok, took some beamshots to attempt to show off the flood, this light really will light up a bedroom.

The L0P Cree XR-E is in the left of all shots, powered by a Sanyo 850 AAA NiMH cell, shot with a point and shoot D-cam.

[​IMG]
    Best closeup I've got.

[​IMG]
    Cree vs. Gerber Infinity Ultra on a Lithium AA cell

[​IMG]
    Cree vs. River Rock 1/2 watt headlamp

[​IMG]
    Cree vs. Streamlight Propolymer luxeon

[​IMG]
    Cree vs. SL Luxeon again but at more distance.

2. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

cool.
    I just ordered a new Palm Blaze 2xcr123 with recharger from an ebay guy for $40. It's got the new K2 Luxeon. When I get some more free cash, and when the technology has been out a bit longer i'll pickup a cree xr-e mod for a maglight and maybe a tactical flashlight as well.

3. 2L Bunny

I put together a nice Cree Magmod. 2C host, Downboy 1000, and 2x18650's. It throws like a laser. I can't wait to work with the new Seoul LED's.

4. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Cool mod. Nice to see that not everyone wants to make a pocket lightsaber out of a small utility light with a tiny reflector. Flood is definitely more useful in smaller lights.

The Seoul LEDs seem to have some problems. About the only advantage they have over the XR-E is their compatibility with optics built for the Luxeon; otherwise they have consistency issues, wild tint variations, and that trouble positive slug that will be a challenge with most of the meal-bodies flashlights out there using the housing as ground.

In spite of all the hype from Lumileds and the long-delayed launch, the K2 just doesn't perform very well. Even the best laboratory environments have trouble making the K2 perform like the spec sheets say it should, leading one to suspect either some outright lying, or some very creative measurement techniques to produce those numbers.

5. 2L Bunny

Ya, I've never warmed up to the K2's. They just didn't seem like much of an advantage over the Lux3's. And heck S bin Lux 1's are great LED's. I still have an SXOH to put into something...plus the RXO? out of my L0P.

6. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

link to where i can get just the leds and the supplies to make some flashlights/bike lights? i know how to solder and read an electrical schematic and what resistors, capacitors and other various electrical components are and how they works, so i think i could do it, just never really got into it that much... I'm assuming it's helluva lot cheaper to "roll your own" than to buy whatever's pre-made? I've got a modded [email protected] and a few other modded maglites.

Link to the goodies?

also, say i want to build a bike light or something, is it as simple as get a batter pack, wire in a switch, a dc-dc voltage regulator, and then hook up straight to the led's with proper heat sinking, or is it slightly more complicated?

7. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

"Rolling your own" is actually signifigantly more expensive than the other guys since you're going to get shafted on components verses the big guys that can buy direct from the manufacturers at considerable discount. If you're not specific on LED selection and just want to use a resistor or direct-drive (not for the meek or those unprepared to replace the LED in tjhe event of a Vf mismatch), you can probably do about as well as something manufactured in quantity.

Most of the DC/DC converter designs utilizing discrete components are several years old and designed for low-power LEDs, but perhaps you'll luck out and find something more up-to-date and/or efficient.

Most folks use prebuilt drivers since all the good driver chips these days are surface-mount. You can get these from The Sandwich Shoppe (they also sell LEDs, optics/reflectors, heatsinks, and other useful stuff). Another source for drivers is TaskLED. Be prepared to spend ~$20 on a LED driver should you go that route. Low-volume manufacturing has its downsides.

If you want to source premium and/or binned LEDs, I suggest snooping around CPF. I've gotten in on some group buys and there are also some regular sellers there. Just keep in mind that binned LEDs are going to cost more than going pot luck from a retailer or electronics distributor.