Feelings about Opterons?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Sep 29, 2008.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'm toying with the idea of building my next machine around a quad-core Opteron. It's more than I'll need, but that's the point -- to build a machine that I won't have to fuck with for a good long time.

How do they stack up compared to comparably-priced Intels?

2. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

Not well. It appears that the top-of-the-line phenom is competitive with the Q6600, and is priced appropriately. The opterons are slower and more expensive. More expensive than the xeon equivalent of the Q6600.

3. deusexaethera

4. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

where were you when everyone is talking about how Barcelona was an epic fail?

dude,... current Intel or wait for nehalem.

5. deusexaethera

I was here, I guess I just forgot. It's still pie-in-the-sky anyway, because if I really need more horsepower than I have right now, I can just move my shit onto the dual-Xeon workstation I salvaged from work. (The Raptors would be a hell of a lot quieter, that's for sure.)

I really prefer to buy AMD when it's practical; by buying AMD I encourage competition in the marketplace. That said, I don't want to buy garbage, so if it's really that bad (relative to what intel offers), then I guess I'll wait for the next iteration. (I've already waited through Athlon64, AthlonX2, and Phenom, so it's not that big of a deal.)

6. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

it is public knowledge that AMD is dumping all of their resources to the next iteration.
    pretty much what is out right now are just fillers, imo. just a few architectural fixes and tdp enhancements.
    so yes, it will be beneficial for you, and for them, if you'd wait for the next one.
    thing is,... I believe that will take you around mid-2009.

7. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

opertons used to be all the server cpu rage...even though xeon was available at the time, intel killed it when the came out with core2 etc

8. deusexaethera

I guess I've been living under a rock, then. Anyway, mid-2009 is no big deal; the first iteration of my current machine was built in mid-2003, and while every single part has been replaced since then, the Windows install is still original.

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Have found that opterons whoop ass at SQL/apache. Much better than desktop procs.