SRS Feeling pretty upset right now..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by poz, Oct 7, 2008.

1. poz

poz New Member

To start off, I'm a senior in high school (i know if i had posted this in the main forum, i wouldve gotten laughed to hell for that lol) and I've been applying to different colleges that interest me. I go to one of the best schools in the country and I'm in the IB program at my school, which I am dropping in less than a month because Spanish is really killing me. (Once I drop, i'll still be taking several AP classes) I don't have the best grades or SAT scores in the world, but I believe they're average for the classes I'm taking. Anyway, I received an email from Florida State saying my SAT reading score is too low (I got a 460 and apparently 500 is the requirement) and I recently took them again but I'm waiting back on my scores. I am also taking the ACT's in December and I'm hoping I do better on those because I have heard they are easier than SAT's for some people. They emailed me saying that my one of my scores was considered "remedial" and they highly suggest me retaking them, which I did (as stated above). Florida State is my first choice and I'd be pretty upset if I got denied. I've been taking challenging classes because I don't mind learning and I'd like to stand out to colleges when applying. I honestly think it's pretty unjust that a lot of colleges base most of admissions on standardized test scores, because some people are not good at test-taking but show their academics through other things. I just wanted to put that out there and see what other people think. FSU has a very good business program and and that's partially what I'm looking at going into. Not to sound biased or anything but I think it's pretty unfair (if I do end up getting deferred or denied) that I've been taking challenging classes since day 1 of high school (and even before that), have tons of community service, decent math and writing SAT scores but below average reading (I still do fine in English classes too), and kids that are taking 5 free periods, somehow do amazing on their SAT/ACT's, and ace their honors classes get in before me.

I have applied to other schools, and I would enjoy going there probably just as much but as I stated above, FSU has a very good business program and that is a big part of the major I plan on going into.

ibhighschooldrama

2. poz

poz New Member

I forgot to add, I'm not depressed or anything, and I love my life/family/friends. This just had me a bit crushed, and I know it's not the denial/deferral letter but it still kinda had me a bit upset.

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I think you have rather a disturbed view on all of this, so let me give you a rediculous example to point that problem out.

I can jump from planet to planet in 5 seconds, i can shoot fireballs, I can dance 3 years in a row,and hold my breath for 14 years. Rediculous as it sounds but these properties can all be considered as REMARKABLE qualities, but they won't do me any good on a school test.

And this seems to be your problem. Your not focusing your efforts on giving them what they want. If you look at this
    You need to think 'requirements' more as a puzzle piece that you need to fit in place, only that 'right piece' of the puzzle is required, all the other pieces are useless in that place. Same counts for those other qualities, they are good but useless in the test.

So THAT has got to change. As shown in example the government doesn't give a 'damn' about your other qualities, it wants good test results.

What you need is: Test Training.

Before you get any kind of important test. TRAIN THE TEST IN ADVANCE.[b/] Repeat the substance, and fill in practise test forms as many times as needed with questions you are most likely to get at the test. If you succesfully answer them, you will score better at the test.

School is about giving a 'performance they want to see', and not so much about performances they do not want to see, or are irrelevant.

You must focus yourself on forfilling those things that are requested, and thus important on the test and relevant for your future,because these tests decide your future. Fiar or unfair has got nothing to do with it. Just give the damn results, and do everything in your power to achieve that.

4. Ridonkulous1

Ridonkulous1 New Member

just make sure you're comfortable with the test. The SAT has a very consistent form, especially in reading. You should be focusing on identifying tonality of passages of poetry and prose and so forth. Also, vocabulary is crucial. It can make or break you very easily and it's not hard to review SAT vocabulary, just a bunch of memorization.
    I know it's not necessarily fair. But, you just have to get comfortable with the test. If you take it and just expect yourself to do well because you're smart, then you're not doing all that you can. My score went up 190 points overall the second time I took it and it ended up getting me into Northwestern, USC, and NYU. Just study the test, the results will come. Oh and classes are overpriced and overrated.

5. poz

poz New Member

well i already took them so im just waiting on the results. if i dont get above 500 on the reading, im gonna take it for a 3rd and final time, and try to focus more on that section than the others. ill still prepare for the test as a whole but try to do well on that section by preparing more for it than math because im fine in math. im also taking the ACT's in december so i think that might help a little more because i heard friends say its a lot easier.

6. BwanaKuu

BwanaKuu New Member

People say the ACTs are easier, but when my friends took it, they said it wasn't much easier at all. Honestly, as long as you've semi-payed attention in school, getting above a 500 on each section of the SAT is incredibly easy. If you want to improve your score, get some test prep books and study your ass off for a few months before the exam. Just retaking it over and over isn't going to work unless you attempt to improve your score.