SRS Feeling Overwhelmed

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Steven Gerrard, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Steven Gerrard

Steven Gerrard I am not young enough to know everything OT Supporter

Back at school teaching and I have an increased workload this year.

I have a new house that I have been trying to renovate, and I have a wonderful wife and beautiful 16mnth old boy.

I'm feeling like it is all a bit much, but I can't do much to reduce my workload.

I am looking for brilliant ways to reduce my feeling of being overwhelmed.

ideas?

2. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

Organize, plan, implement plan, reassess plan and revise depending on results/work completed/new factors, begin process over again.

I know it sounds simple, but it always helps me.
    For example, you say your trying to renovate the house. Set out a "things to do in a week", "things to do in a month", etc or something similar for all the stuff you need to do, how much it will cost, the time/labor involved, all that stuff. Maybe even try a spreadsheet or something to keep it all together. That way, you know whats coming, can prepare for the next step, and (most importantly) can see the 'light at the end of the tunnel' and have a goal.

Then you're not just looking at "renovate whole house" and instead have "install new bathroom fixture" or whatever and it makes it look and feel like 'less' work even though the end product is the same.

Same thing goes for work - set lesson plans, dates for tests/essays and that kind of stuff so you know that on a certain day your students have a test and you'll have more grading to do (thus dont plan on retiling the floor or something the same week).

Set deadlines for things that need deadlines - again, it helps with the planning aspect, but dont worry about it for things that dont actually need them- that just creates too much pressure. Even if your plan doesnt always work out perfectly, thats fine - and remember to remind yourself that this is ok. You'll almost always have something pushed back/forward but you still have a plan so you know whats needs to happen and can always rearrange but you've gotta start with something.

3. Vysion

Vysion New Member

Renovate what you need to have to be able to make it thru the winter/school year... but save the rest for later (next summer) when you have more time to dedicate to finishing up the renovations.

The wife will probably bitch about them not getting done but communicate with her that you're feeling overwhelmed and that you plan to finish it up after the school year.

Work hard enough to get your work done, but save some energy to play with your son. You don't want to miss spending any time with him because they grow up fast.

4. Steven Gerrard

Steven Gerrard I am not young enough to know everything OT Supporter

good advice, thanks! This is all stuff I know, but sometimes you need to be reminded.

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Another good thing to do is to set priorities, always make sure you work away your main goals first, then do the other outlining jobs you still have to do. Im also thinking that maby you could find an expert and let someone else do the renovating of your house for you. Have a good look on what other side-jobs someone else might be able to do for you, to save yourself some time.