SRS Feeling Lost

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by nsane, Apr 24, 2007.

1. nsane

nsane New Member

Hi everyone,

I've been in college for two years. When I came here, I knew a few guys from highschool that I'd known since elementary school. So basically, I never moved on from my set of highschool friends. I have a few new friends, but not nearly as many as when I was in highschool, mostly because I spend most of my time hanging out with the people I live in the dorms with (the guys from highschool). I realized this at the beginning of this semester and I've been working to make new friends and connections around campus. It's working out I guess, I haven't made any really serious friends, but it's nice to have new people to talk to. I get out, but I just haven't made any serious connections.

Anyways, one my hs friends assumed I'd be his roommate next year. It's the first year I'll be able to move off campus, and I really need a room mate, but I already know I don't want to live with this kid and I can't stand his parents (they're really condescending and since they've known me since I was a child, they tend to treat me like one). Well, this late in the game, it kind of sucks but I told him I don't want to room with him because I want to get out and meet new people beyond my current group of old friends. So he's understandably hurt and in need of a place to stay.

So I just feel lost... Basically because I've abandoned my old friends. They weren't that great - they did stupid stuff like tell my GF I was cheating on her when I wasn't, mess with my stuff, never give an inch of privacy, etc.
    But I don't have new ones (yet) and I don't have a place to live. It's going to be like starting all over, which kind of sucks. I wish I had just roomed with random people at the beginning of school.

I've found a couple of places to live, one of them has a couple of guys that seem like they could be decent friends. I almost want to live in the dorms another year so that the difficulty of finding new people isn't there. But to me, that's just being weak - I know I can move out with people I don't know.

I feel like I've written this post and basically gotten nowhere. I just want some advice or understanding regarding my situation... thanks.

2. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

:werd:

3. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

It sounds like you're on the right path and making some changes for the better, if I were in your situation I would probably try to stay on campus for one more year, but either on your own or with new roommates.

4. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

You should look at those bold words. Expand your friend circle is the best thing you could do!