SRS Feeling lost and empty, meaning of life pointless

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Franco, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Franco

Franco New Member

I have felt this way since mid december last year, felt better a few weeks in january, but now Im down again. I have no drive to wake up early in the morning, no drive to do anything anymore really. Just a feeling of emptiness deep inside me. Ive tried working out, eating well, still no difference. I just feel down, feel blue.

I have everything I want, everything I wanted I have now. Good friends, supporting family, good social life, studies work all going well. Is stressful sometimes because of both studies and job. Couldnt sleep well a few weeks ago. Just dont have a girlfriend but neither did I find anygirl I met so far as girlfriend material. What the hell is my problem? Life should be great, and here I am writing here instead of being with my friends at a great party a few blocks away. I was there this evening, and decided to go home as I felt too low, everyone I met, even nice girls, I was just feeling im not myself. For example I didnt hug the nice girls, as I usualy would do. Didnt feel like greeting them so warmly.

am I getting shizo or some other serious illnes?

2. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

What do you think is the source?

Do you need a loftier goal/ambition in your life?

3. Franco

Franco New Member

I dont know what the source is. I was thinking its the antibiotics I took against acne, but every source I checked doesnt say depression as bi-effect.

Might be because of all lost chances I had of getting laid, I had really alot of chances and hot girls, but didnt get laid yet, been a couple of months now. Its like sometimes I see the signals after the chance, after the girl made the effort, then I regret not responding adequatly. And even when I make the first call, I think of it as too easy and back down as soon as the girl shows (sex)interest.

Sometimes it feels like I have too high ambitions, this being the reason for being stressed out a few weeks ago. Im aiming for two diplomas. Just this semester left, one thesis work and couple of exams, and im set. Also in the process of seting up my own business.

4. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

I totally get that part lol Happens to me all the time

Keep on telling us how you feel and what's on your mind. I can't offer any advice because I don't know how to, but I'm sure everyone here will listen

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Maybe your problem is you think you're supposed to have your shit together 100% of the time, and since you don't you must be failing somehow.

6. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Sounds like you're in a transition period and unsure of the future. Leaving college/Uni for that first job can be really depressing, especially if you've had a great time for the last 4-5 years.

It also might be that you really don't like your chosen profession and simply got the degrees to satisfy mommy and daddy. If there's something else you want to do, by all means, look into it and don't be afraid to pursue it. Living a life that someone else chooses for you is no way to live.

7. Franco

Franco New Member

This is it.

8. Franco

Franco New Member

I had my shit toghether for the last 4-5 years, now I feeel lost. I do like my profession thou. Just the feeling im having now, is like Im afraid of failing with my thesis of not completing it in time, of not having my shit toghether all the time, its getting me down. This was never a problem before, I was always optimistic with studies, now not so much.
    How do I get back on track? I started working out as I used to do before, and I felt great, but its not working, I feel just so-so. Even after making progress and seeing a small difference now a month later.

9. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

ah. near graduation time life. Mine was a bitch too, and felt pretty close to the same as you. All you can do is remind yourself what needs to get done and how you will go about getting it done. As long as you continue to do what you have your whole life (it seems to be the right thing), then everything will be fine.

Realize that probably everyone that made it to where you were also had similar encounters and feelings. You are not the only person in the entire world feeling this way. If you really want to shed some light on it, go talk to people such as professors or anyone that has passed the point you are at. Ask them how it was for them at your stage. You will be surprised to hear from them things you probably never expected :eek3:

10. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

One thing to realize is that whether you are conscious of it or not, you are in a transition period. People often react differently during these periods.

Where was it ever written that you have to have your shit together 100% of the time?

Many times in my life I've felt like if I wasn't the absolute best at something then by default I was the absolute worst at it. What I've come to accept is that both extremes are bullshit. I'm usually somewhere in between but because I have an ego, I think I'm better than I really am....or the flip side to that coin is, I feel like I'm worse than I really am.

What I've found helps is to just remind myself that I'm neither the best nor the worst but somewhere in between.....and that it's perfectly OK to be in between.

One last thing....stick with your chosen path to the end. Many people feel the feelings your feeling and think, "Well I'm no longer excited and passionate about my major, time to switch." Many continue this cycle don't transition in adult life until many years later. Finish the degrees then after some reflection you can choose another path if you like but I would suggest not doing so till many months after you graduate.

11. Franco

Franco New Member

Thanks for the help everyone.

I began sleeping early and waking up early, really early and managing thru the day, I went home for a few days and stayed with my parents. This really relieved me of stress, as I just said to myself about school and work, well just fuck it all for this weekend. I also worked out longer for two days, just walking it all off.

I am now back on track.

12. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

You seem to have high expectations, for you (ie : you say you want to "have your shit together all the time") to be but also for other people (ie : you've never met a girl worth it).

13. Shayes

Shayes OT Supporter

ive been feeling pretty depressed man, life goes on.
    i really dont know sometimes. the point of life has got to be just to be happy.