Feel the power!!! Hondamatic vroooooom.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Vermincelli, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Finally getting this thing back together. Riding an auto is a weird sensation though. 2 speed gearbox, slow and slower. lol
    Last things to do, replace the fork seals, tires and chain. Thing sounds like a goddamn sewing machine at idle but considering that it only took a recharge on the battery, new gas in the tank and about 15 minutes of cranking and it fired up after sitting in a shed for 10 years. Tough little shit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. diaper eater

diaper eater OT Supporter

if its auto why does it have a clutch and gearshift?

edit: well i can kinda understand having a clutch

3. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

That's a parking brake. :) Pop the pin, pull in the handle and it locks.
    So to coast you just let off the throttle. Took me about 2 hours to quit grabbing for the clutch. Gearshift is just like the old automatic minibikes, use 1st til it winds out at about 20mph then just switch up to 2nd ffrom there up to redline. Just 2 speeds is almost as weird as no clutch.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  4. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Finally finished it yesterday. Redid the forks and carbs, new chain/sprockets, valve lashing, timing chain, tires, replaced the tripletree (just needed a damn handlebar clamp but had to get the whole thing for it). It was a nightmare finding parts but found all but a gas cap (no longer made and finding one has been my personal nightmare).

Runs like a champ now. Suprising the power it actually has. Only really weird thing to get used to now is how you have to use the engine to slow down. You can downshift to 1st when over 25mph but then you have to give it a little gas to disengage the torque converter to get the engine to brake.

Still sounds like a sewing machine though.

5. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

6. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun New Member

Those bikes used to get laughed at, but now they're so rare, a lot of people consider them a collector piece. I bet it's weird as hell to kick it into drive.

7. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

it's funky. click it into first and it just sits there idling. Just twist the throttle to take off and to coast, just let off the gas. At idle there's just a little bit of creep but sitting at a stop with your foot down holds it back.

50mpg though is nice to have. I know about the rarity from trying to find parts for the damn thing :)
    I could easily sell it right now for $1500-$1800, which is more than it was new.

Those damn buckhorn bars though have got to go. Going to swap out a set of daytona bars next month.

8. FrankieSixxxgun

Good old Honda buckhorns. My first bike was an '86 Rebel 450, so I feel your pain. That sucker gets 50mpg too, huh? What kinda engine is in that thing? I thought it was a mid-size inline four.

9. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

2 cylinder 400. noisy but almost bulletproof.

10. FrankieSixxxgun

Probably just like my 450. Noisy, slow, and bulletproof. It's sad that my 1340cc Harley gets the same gas mileage though, but I do have 5 gears vs. the two in the Honda.