A&P Feedback on the Canon S50 Digital Camera?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by baldyguy, Dec 1, 2003.

1. baldyguy

baldyguy Deep, but not Profound

I'm thinking about getting one... or can you guys recommend a better camera? I'm looking for one that's around the $500.00 range

2. mojito

mojito New Member

olympus c-740/750, kodak 6490, panasonic dmc-fz10, canon s400

3. wtwhtalmh

wtwhtalmh Guest

I own an S50.

To give you a quick base as to where I am in photography, I have a Minolta Maxxum 7000 (35mm SLR) with several lenses. I use to have a Sony Mavica CD400, then I got a Minolta Dimage 7i.

I sold my Dimage 7i to buy the S50 I had originally wanted a camera that I could take out with me more often so I'd be able to take more random pictures with my friends and what not. But from moving from the Dimage 7i to the S50 I really lost a lot of creativity control. Sure the S50 still has control over the aperture and shutter speed but the lens isn't nearly as good as the Dimage 7i (just look at pictures and you will be able to tell why, the dimage has a much larger lens). If you aren't looking for something comperable to a full SLR camera the S50 is an amazing camera. It gives you a very nice mix between a point and shoot digital to full creative control over what you are taking a picture of. If you are looking at other similar cameras, say the Sony V1 (can't remembe the exact model number) I'd say get the canon. I love the camera. If you are interested, I must say that it does take pretty good quality movies. My dimage could only do 30 second movies of subpar quality movies. The S50 does 3 minutes of movies (as many as can fit on your mem card) and the quality is really quite good, and its not .mov format (THANK GOD!).

I'll put a few sample shots on my server so you can see some of the capabilities of the camera.

If you are looking for really really good in depth reviews... goto www.dpreview.com - they do amazing work.

I'll let you know once I upload some stuff.

4. wtwhtalmh

wtwhtalmh Guest

5. jTranz

jTranz Lost in Translation

Great for outside/daytime shooting. More of a challenge at night and indoor environments. Camera has a nice sturdy feel, it's a brick, no plastic here. I'd recommend it as a good starter cam to take with you on vacation, trips, and just for a outtings with the friends and family. I've seen them priced as low as $420, which I think is a great price for the camera you're getting. I've got an s40 which is the same shell as the s50, which I pretty much leave in the car and take with me where ever I go, and a g5 which I use for work.

6. BlueBalls

BlueBalls Guest

Heres a pix

I took this with my Canon S50... printed it out at Wolf Cameras new digital photo lab. God it looks like a postcard. I love that camera I recommend you purchase one.

[​IMG]