WEB Feedback on my Joomla city portal

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Futureguy-4DP, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Futureguy-4DP

Futureguy-4DP 4th dimensional

Hey guys, I just got another project launched, it's a city portal for Nanjing, Jiangsu Province, China.

It uses Joomla, a Joomla template and matching PHPbb3 template from Rockettheme, and a couple of commercial extensions:
    1. Classifieds
    2. Listings directory

Feedback much appreciated!

http://www.HelloNanjing.net

2. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

Looks nice enough, but I literally went to the bathroom while it loaded, came back, and it was still finishing loading.

And wtflol:

3. nida

nida Guest

I expected something completely different. I like what you've done. How do you plan on marketing the site to the community?

4. Die Antwoord

Die Antwoord New Member

Looks really nice bro. The only problem I had with it was the 2 red boxes on the right side were a little too loud and kept pulling my eyes to them. Maybe a lighter color?

5. Futureguy-4DP

Thanks a lot for the feedback, guys, will take all into consideration (like those loud red boxes).

I've kind of given up on the idea of earning money via advertising online. My day job is producing similar types of media (print and web stuff), but it's in a corporate setting and is stifling! I'd rather do that kind of stuff working for myself, but ensured of a steady supply of work (while traipsing around Asia, unfettered).

My hope with this website is to use it to make connections with key members of the local community, by 'promoting' stuff on the site, on their behalf.

A few months down the line, I feel I'll be a deeply established part of the community, with enough recognition & earned respect to be able to to request 'operational sponsorships', from a few key people.

it seems to be working so far...:x:

6. nida

nida Guest

Sounds promising. Is the site also translated in the native language?

7. Futureguy-4DP

Well, there are 'taxi print' entries for each establishment in the directory, written in Chinese.

Other than that, though, I think I'll stick wholly to English content, thus attracting international Chinese that speak English. There are only around 12,000 expats in Nanjing, so I'll need to draw locals, to make this project viable.

I'm in the process of hiring a Chinese editor (part time, dude works for cheap), however. I want him to scour Chinese print and web media, and pull for me 2-3 interesting articles that we'll rewrite and publish every week.

This will give expats a neat little window into news they won't normally have access to, plus, it will keep a regular flow of content coming in, while I'm out beating bushes with a stick!