A&P Feedback on a picture I took v.newb

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Bill Clinton, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton President

Taken with a SD300, I'm a newb, any nice feedback is appreciated

[​IMG]

2. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Cute dog.

Technically speaking it's a good pic. Focus/sharpness is good, exposure is good. Is it a good photograph? For you I'd say yes because it's (presumably) your dog. To others, it may simply be a good snapshot.

3. mojito

mojito New Member

I love the light on his face and the expression. Good exposure for a point and shoot. I'd like to see more of what he's lookng at and less curtain

4. Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton President

thanks guy! that technical stuff was exactly what i was looking for.

5. MelloBoy

MelloBoy New Member

do you have photoshop?
    if you do, i would try applying a warming filter on it and see how it turns out. the warming filter does just that...makes the picture slightly warmer by increasing a slight orange hue or what not. this has the effect of neutralizing some of the blue hue that's somewhat evident on the curtain...it will make the curtain more "white" without completely killing the blue of the sky in the background and what not

also, unless you were trying to get a slightly "old photo" effect, try bumping up the saturation to make the picture more vibrant :) also, try messing around with the shadow/highlight balance. the area above your dogs head (due to clouds) is a bit overexposed and bringing down the highlights slightly may help with the light balance as to myself, that area is slightly distracting.

these are just suggestions and ultimately, it's you who decides what looks good and what doesn't :) and on that note, i think the shot looks very nice :) i like the facial expression of the dog :)

melloboy

6. Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton President

wow thanks for all the feedback mello. I do have photoshop but I will have to look up how to do warming filters and the other effects u described. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again!

7. lemans23

lemans23 PV - The Vision of Sound

personally, i like the mystery of why hes staring out the window

8. FryingPan

FryingPan Certified Thread Killer

I think in this case, less curtain would mean more light and would ruin the mood he's got going right now.

9. shangrilarcadia

shangrilarcadia A lady

I agree that there should be less curtain; half of the shot is plain white, which is pretty boring. I don't mean that the curtain should have been moved, which is what I think the poster above me read that as; instead of moving the curtain, you should have moved yourself (and your camera). If you zoomed, tilted, chose a diferent angle/ orientation, etc, then you could have framed the dog better in the picture.

That being said, cute dog :) And I love the lighting and the dog's facial expression.

10. nw

nw Guest

its great, however it isn't crisp enough

11. FryingPan

FryingPan Certified Thread Killer

I'm gonna have to say 'no' here. Sharpness in this instance is the enemy. The image has a very warm, pleasant feel to it, largely in part due to the soft focus. It's in focus, but very soft and easy on the eyes. A sharp, hard focus would pretty much destroy that ambiance because the whole image has a pretty consistant depth of field.