GUN Feed problems on My Savage 93

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by PanzerAce, Oct 11, 2006.

1. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Using CCI .17HMR TNT rounds. When I close the bolt, the round goes about halfway up the feed ramp and then stops. Is the solution just to polish the ramp, or what?

(if it is relevant, this is the -F version).

Also, got my bipod out to the range finally yesterday. I love that thing, 3 rounds through one hole in a penny ftmfw (pics in a couple of hours when I get home from work)

2. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Does it only do it when the magazine is full or all the time?

3. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

only tried it with a full mag. I am going again on thursday I think, so Ill double check that, and Ill bring something to polish it with if it does end up being the ramp.

Oh, and the vmax tipped rounds dont do this at all. :dunno:

4. Aequitas

I just got the same rifle about two weeks ago, haven't gotten the scope for it yet though. I was having trouble feeding with a full mag with some FMJ CCI. If I only put 4 in it then it fed fine. I loaded and unloaded the magazine a few times and it finally stopped. I also noticed that once you load it completely if you push down on the back of the cartridges it'll click down and the front will then be more elevated. I didn't have any trouble feeding with some Hornady polymer tipped rounds, just the CCI.

5. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

wierd. Was that the poly tip CCI or the FMJ (which I have never actually seen). Also, I have gone through 360 rounds, all but about 10 of them with full mags, so I dont think it is a problem with the mag spring. Ill try the pushing down on the back trick, but I really feel that its the polishing that needs to be done.

As for scopes, seriously consider the leupold VX-I 4-12x40mm, its what I have on mine and I love it :big grin: (and all the people that have shot it love it as well) its about 250 bucks shipped, so its a good price.

6. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

try different ammo

7. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Don't know about the different types of .17 but i agree if FMJ feeds ok but HP type ammo is getting hung up sounds like the ramp needs polishing.

8. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Ok, thanks guys. I have noticed that sometimes the Vmax hangs up on something momentarily, so its probably just a little ridge or something.

Squid, .17 Vmax is a hollow point with a polymer tip in it so that it looks and acts like an FMJ. REAL FMJ .17 is apparently quite rare.

9. Aequitas

The CCI I was shooting was FMJ. I ordered one of the BSA sweet 17 scopes, it's 3-12 x 40mm. Once sighted in it can be adjusted for the drop of the 17 round by distance. Sounded interesting so I figured I'd give it a shot. I'll post some pics with it on the rifle once it gets here, as well as some groupings once it's sighted in.

10. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

V-max isn't suppose to act like a FMJ, it's supposed to blow shit up(or fragment if you will)!
    Like this vid http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1674745059052442913.:)

Also, you can check a walmart to see if they have FMJ, though I'm not sure if it's only mine.

11. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

bleh, 5 hours of sleep + midterm + work + coughing my lungs out is fucking up with my mind.

Actually, what kind of sandpaper should I use to polish it?

12. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

my brother also has a savage 93, and he said the CCI TNT sucks ass in it, but the hornady vmax is fucking sex.

thats my 2 cents..

13. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

I have heard it both ways. I figure if with the TNT it still shoots better than me, that is enough (especially since it is cheaper by 2-3 bucks per box). :dunno: We will see later today, since I am going to stop at a hardware store before going to the range.