Fedora

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by diesel, Aug 4, 2006.

1. diesel

diesel Guest

I installed Fedora on this really old computer of mine to mess around with UNIX but I really have another need for the computer besides using Fedora on it. I tried to install Windows XP on the computer by booting from the CD but once it starts to analyze the components of the computer as it boots, nothing comes on the screen. Could it be because of the fedora partition on the computer and windows has no idea WTF is going on or is it that the machine might be to slow?!!? Do I need to fdisk the partition before installing XP or?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not likely hdd. It'd pop up an error about that.

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

fdisk isn't usually able to read the linux partitions so often it's unable to help. I used to have a dual boot system but it was a pain to manage and get set up. You can use Partition Magic as it can read and change partition information.

I went for a different solution tho, swappable HDs. You can buy hardware that will allow you to physically remove one HD and replace it with another. So now I have a linux HD and Windows HD. For me, it's a much better solution and works just fine for what I need but it costs more cuz you need the hardware and 2 HDs.

4. Deevan

Deevan Active Member

How slow/old is the PC? I was able to get a naked version of XP to run on a 333 pentium 2...

Slower than that though, good luck.

5. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

Post specs.