Fedora Project

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ChosenGSR, Dec 24, 2003.

1. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

what exactly is Fedora Project ? is that "redhat 10" :dunno:

2. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

RedHat has stopped making their free distro. So instead of just ditching it completely, they started the Fedora project. It basically is RH9 right now with logo changes. Over time it will continue just as the original RH did.

3. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

hm.... so redhat is dead? why did they stop?

is Fedora still a free distro?

damn i've been living under a cave :wtc:

4. CompiledMonkey

RH is focused on their enterprise distros now instead of the free project. Check out the Fedora site for more details on what it means for the RH distro and why they did it.

5. ChosenGSR

anyone else noticing that linux is moving away from the idea of "free" ?

6. CompiledMonkey

Linux itself is not moving away from being free. The kernel will always remain free. The distrobutions seem to be moving around because of cost (at least the major ones). It's very expensive to put out RedHat and get no return on it. Just think of how many people run the free version of RedHat (v6 to v9). We just got RH AS 3.0 at work and it basically is RH9 yet very very stable. It seems to me the free version of RH was made as sort of a development/testing product. They worked on it for years until it was stable and easy to use. Then they pull it off the shelf to push their enterprise product and support services. That's good business. Get people hooked on something which is free, then take it away and replace it with a similar product with added support and stability for a price. I think the same will happen with Novell and their newly aquired Linux distrobution.

7. ChosenGSR

I mean linux distros... I guess I understand the reasoning... it's just that linux has always been about free free free... I actualy wanted to give SuSe 9.0 a try and recently found out that I have to purchase it? :wtf:

8. CompiledMonkey

9. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

As long as the source is open, it is free. And the source will always be open :x:

10. ChosenGSR

sorry, I thought I read in a thread here that it's not available for free download.

11. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

12. Redhat likely spends more money promoting their brand than they do on R&D and for good reasons. Why would they unnecessarily deplete their resources when you have millions upon millions of willing and eager software engineers who will do it for free? Remember also that it costs millions to fight a litigation case, as it was with the recent SCO incident. They have publically said they'd indemnify any of their corporate customers if faced with a suit from SCO, which we know is not cheap.

Bottom line is, Redhat has always been at the fore at trying to make Linux more accessible to desktops while maintaning a margin of profit with their corporate branch, but the Linux revolution is proving to be a slow and costly endevour.