GUN FedEx worker stole 146 guns to sell on the street, authorities say

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Aug 13, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FedEx worker stole 146 guns to sell on the street, authorities say
    by Jeff Whelan/The Star-Ledger
    Wednesday August 13, 2008, 12:05 AM
    http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/topstories/index.ssf/2008/08/fedex_staffer_held_in_theft_of.html
    A FedEx cargo handler stole 146 handguns from the Monmouth County facility where he worked and enlisted a friend to help sell the weapons at public housing projects in Jersey City and on the streets of Newark and East Orange, federal investigators said Tuesday.

The scheme began to fall apart when frustrated residents complained to Jersey City police, who then used a sting operation to capture the suspects, authorities said.

Federal agents are now trying to trace dozens of the stolen weapons, many of which they said were sold for between $300 and $500 each or traded for drugs.

"This is a huge number of guns. Our primary goal is to find out where the remaining guns are. We want them in our custody. We don't want them in the hands of criminals or gang members," said special agent Joseph Green, a spokesman for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

The two suspects, Patrick Dolan, 28, of Keyport and John Sozomenou, 32, of Aberdeen, surrendered at federal district court in Newark Tuesday. U.S. Magistrate Judge Patty Shwartz ordered them both released on $200,000 bond.

They were charged with conspiracy to possess and sell stolen firearms and face up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine, said Assistant U.S. Attorney Joseph Gribko, who is prosecuting the case.

The conspiracy began in October when Dolan stole a single handgun from the Federal Express facility in Eatontown, according to a criminal complaint unsealed Tuesday.

In May, he allegedly stole a shipment of 75 guns from a conveyor belt. The weapons were manufactured by Bersa in Argentina and destined for a southern New Jersey importer, authorities said. Days later, the complaint stated, he stole another shipment of 70 guns from Argentina.

But as Dolan grew bolder, authorities said, he and Sozomenou began raising eyebrows on the streets. Jersey City residents complained to police in May that two white males were selling handguns at three different public housing complexes, the complaint stated.

Tipsters said the guns, new and in their original boxes, were being sold out of a white Ford Bronco and a blue BMW, authorities said. One tipster caught the license plate of the BMW, which police traced to Dolan's girlfriend, according to the complaint.

Authorities used a confidential informant to set up a sting. The informant contacted Dolan and Sozomenou, who agreed to sell about a dozen handguns for approximately $300 apiece.

On May 29, the two suspects showed up at the buy in the Ford Bronco and were arrested. Police found a green army bag in the vehicle with eight Bersa .380-caliber handguns and one Comanche .22-caliber nine-shot revolver, according to the complaint. Authorities said all of the weapons had been stolen from the FedEx facility.

Police also recovered two loaded weapons hidden inside the steering wheel: a Bersa .380-caliber handgun, and a Bersa .40-caliber handgun, both also stolen from FedEx, authorities said.

Both suspects confessed, according to the complaint. They first were charged at the local level, but federal authorities, who can seek stiffer penalties, took over the case.

Greg Tomczak, who represents Dolan, and Peter Willis, who represents Sozomenou, both declined to comment Tuesday.

Jim McCluskey, a spokesman for FedEx, said Dolan was fired after his initial arrest in May. He said the company cooperated with investigators.

"It appears to be an isolated issue. We have very tight security procedures in place. We don't tolerate any type of illegal activity in our company," McCluskey said.

He said that in order to ship guns through the U.S. with FedEx, either the shipper or recipient must be a licensed manufacturer, importer, dealer or collector and the shipment must be in compliance with federal, state and local laws.

2. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

Holy fucking New Jersey.:rofl:

3. cantankerously

cantankerously Active Member

$300 Bersa :eek3:

4. So, when people started complaining to FedEx that their gun shipments were missing FedEx didn't think to follow the paper trail to see where the guns were before they disappeared?

5. IHAVECRABS

IHAVECRABS Diversity is our strength. LOLOL

:eek3: thats crazy. i probably wouldnt want to live in those complexes that he sold them in. thats a lot of armed criminals.

6. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Long long long time in prison

7. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Not really

Goto prison longer for having a barrel slightly to short, then for selling 150 guns in the hood.

8. Karnejj

Karnejj “A true conservative is one who can't see any diff OT Supporter

Guess the race....

/sarcasm

9. Werm

Werm Guest

They should get life :mad:

10. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

They should get death :mad:

11. badflash

badflash New Member

Cake or death?

/eddie izzard related shennanigans

12. badflash

badflash New Member

but seriously that's fucked up

13. Milky

Milky I'm in your Millenium Falcon, rumbling your Wookie

Umm death, please...Oops sorry I meant cake.

14. Liptonucf

Liptonucf wee woo wee woo wee woo

makes me want to go and live in a project so I can get a good deal on illegal guns. I wonder if they have shoot outs with their neighbors when they are bored.

15. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

true. but the student who buys it helps maintain a huge demand for the drug. and thus fuels tons of violence and crime. but this is the wrong forum for this debate.

16. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

While I disagree with the war on drugs, if someone gets 5 years for pot it was probably a bit more then personal use amount.

17. cantankerously

Someone who is caught with a little pot doesn't go to jail for 5 years.

18. Werm

Werm Guest

In NV it's a class E felony to have, for personal use, 1oz or more and the penalty is 1-4 years in prison :eek3:

http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=4516

19. cantankerously

20. Werm

Werm Guest

Maybe to someone who's never smoked/known someone who smoked. A lot of people by an ounce at a time. That's why it's "personal use" and not sale.

21. cantankerously

You know, you could just not break the law and not buy it at all. :dunno:

22. Werm

Werm Guest

Like many laws we have I don't believe it's just :hs:

23. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

there are laws i believe are 100% unjust but i still follow them :hsughno:

24. smartypants

smartypants New Member

That AUSA is a faggot.
    It should have been written up as a domestic terrorism case.

25. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

1oz or more is also considered intent to distribute. A little known fact here is that if you come to my state with a misdemeanor from CA for Marijuana Poss. and come into my station to register your gun, the State of Nevada will not register it, which makes it illegally owned, because what you did in CA is considered a felony here. I disagree with that, but have no say in the matter.