GUN Fedex... Incompetence in motion

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Wobistdu, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

I went tonight to ship out my Taurus handgun. Between fedex's website and talking to fedex via the phone, I got this information.

1) Handgun must go overnight
    2) Fedex will verify the FFL to make sure it's a dealer
    3) Price quoted was $56 for a 4lb package.

So money order has cleared, I take the box to the fedex building. I go to the nice douchebag at the counter. I say I'm shipping a handgun. I hand him a copy of the FFL.

He asks, "How do you want to ship this? 3 day? 2day? overnight?"
    I say, "It's a handgun, doesn't it have to go overnight?"
    He says, "Nope any way will work"
    I say, "Are you sure? Fedex.com and your service reps say overnight"
    Him -> Nope, good to go.

So he quotes me $71 overnight with signature for my 3lb 3oz package, that was smaller than the specs I gave over the phone. :ugh: $31 for 2 day with signature. Fuck them. Took 2 day.

Maybe fedex should train their employees a little better. [​IMG]

2. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

oh and he never even looked at the FFL. no verification at all. it said "gun shop" in the address so it was good enough for him. AWESOME

3. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

I hate to break it to you, but unless you are an FFL01, all handguns MUST ship overnight. You knew this and still decided to ship it 2nd day. Enjoy pound me in the ass prison.

4. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

I already called the FBI.
    In all seriousness, I went through something similar shipping a handgun through Fedex, and they freaked out at the counter. They thought it was illegal, the guy thought he was going to get shot...bunch of fucking babies. I told them it was legal, unloaded, and going to a dealer.
    I think shipping was just under $30 for overnight though.
    It was kind of nice, however, to introduce a few CA people to a transaction involving a firearm where their was no bloodshed, gangbangers, rednecks, etc.

5. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

meh I've shipped mine via ups to ffl's 2 or 3 day with no problems.

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I believe there is no federal law regarding how to ship firearms (to an FFL) but each shipping company has their own guidelines and there may be state laws too.

IIRC Fedex requires handgun to go next day air early am delivery. UPS requires it to go next day air, or 2 day air. The postal service will not ship handguns unless the shipper is a FFL

It has been our experience that ups 2nd day air insured for $500 value is the least expensive (with real time tracking and insurance). Most cases it's $25-$35

7. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

pretty sure it's only fedex's policy, not a federal law

i'm still shipping to a dealer. do you have a link that says there is a law about time of shipment?

8. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

yeah for a 4lb package from VA to Iowa, UPS wanted 85 overnight and fedex wanted 56. however at the counter, fedex wanted more. how do these fucks not even align with rates? is it that hard to punch in a zip code with weight and dimensions? jesus christ

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

there are other factors other than zip code. For example ups want's 10% more for residential delivery. I'm not sure how the shhipping calculator works for ups and fedex. It probably assumes everything is residential or bussiness unless the address is in the database as a known account holder. There is also fuel charges that constantly fluctuate. A firearm may automaticly be labeled a "high value" package and insurance automaticlly applied. I know the ups system pretty well as I used to work there and I presently use them for shipping.

10. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Don't worry, tards at UPS will do the same. We get customers shipping in their airsoft guns via next day air because UPS employees tell them that guns have to go next day air, regardless of a toy or not.

11. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

you sure about that?

12. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

i told her everything. business. hand gun. value. bla bla bla

amazing. such bullshit. another way for the public to get fucked over. no reason you cant shit a hand gun 3 day. it's nothing more than "we will ship your handgun, but you're going to pay out the ass for it"

13. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

The prison part was a joke, but the rest is true.

14. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Shipping Legalities
    Federal Law requires that all modern firearms be shipped to a holder of a valid Federal Firearms License (FFL) only. The recipient must have an FFL; however the sender is not required to have one. Any person who is legally allowed to own a firearm is legally allowed to ship it to an FFL holder for any legal purpose (including sale or resale).
    Here is exactly what the ATF 'Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide' (ATF P 5300.4) says:
    (B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?
    A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]
    B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?
    A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.
    'Antique' firearms need not be shipped to a licensed dealer. These can be shipped directly to the buyer. An antique firearm is a firearm built in or before 1898, or a replica thereof. The exact ATF definition of an antique firearm is:
    Antique firearm. (a) Any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and (b) any replica of any firearm described in paragraph (a) of this definition if such replica (1) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or (2) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
    Knives, air guns, accessories, and most gun parts need not be shipped to an FFL holder. We say most gun parts because each firearm contains at least one part that the ATF considers a firearm. This part is typically the part that contains the serial number. This part must be treated as a complete firearm when shipping the item.
    Ammunition must be clearly identified as 'Small Arms Ammunition' on the outside of the box. Some shippers treat ammunition as dangerous or hazardous materials.
    The section of the US Code that governs modern firearms is called Commerce in Firearms and Ammunition (CFA). This code is available online at: http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/2005/p53004/27cfr_part478.pdf
    When in doubt, we suggest arranging for transfer through a licensed dealer. Violation of the CFA is a felony and penalties for violation of it are severe.
    Federal and State Law Resources
    The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) has a very comprehensive site containing information about the various Federal and state laws regulating firearms. Please refer to the ATF information for legal questions regarding firearms.
    ATF Home page: http://www.atf.gov
    ATF Compilation of the various state laws: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/statelaws/22edition.htm
    ATF Firearms Division Main Page: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/index.htm
    Shipment by Unlicensed Persons
    Any shipper who does not have a Federal Firearms License (FFL) is considered to be an 'unlicensed person'. This section contains information on how unlicensed persons can ship firearms. If you have an FFL, please skip to the next section for shipping suggestions.
    The most important thing to know is that you must only ship guns to a licensed dealer. If the buyer is not a licensed dealer, he will have to make arrangements to ship the item to a dealer in his state.
    Before you ship a gun, the buyer must fax or mail you a copy of the dealer's signed FFL license. You can only ship the gun to the address on the license. You must inform the carrier that the package contains a firearm. Of course, the firearm cannot be shipped loaded; ammunition may not be shipped in the same box. You should take the copy of the signed FFL with you when you take the item to be shipped in case the shipper wishes to see it.
    Notes on specific shippers:
    US Mail: An unlicensed person can ship a rifle or shotgun by US Mail. Unlicensed persons cannot ship a handgun by US Mail. Postal regulations allow the Post Office to open your package for inspection. Ammunition cannot be shipped by US Mail. You can search the US Post Office Postal Explorer site for specific USPS regulations regarding firearms and ammunition.
    FedEx: FedEx will only ship firearms via their Priority Overnight service. Ammunition must be shipped as dangerous goods.
    FedEx Ground: FedEx Ground will transport and deliver firearms (excluding handguns) as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S. Ammunition must be shipped as dangerous goods.
    UPS: UPS will accept handgun shipments by Next Day Air only. Rifles and shotguns can be shipped by UPS ground service. UPS will accept shipments of ammunition. Most other shippers will no longer accept firearm shipments. Airborne and Roadway have specifically prohibited firearm shipments.

15. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

so i was legal. overnight is simply a fedex policy [​IMG]

16. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

so basically i could ship handguns all the time any way i wanted since even doing it right shows no difference.

fedex doesnt record the ffl
    fedex doesnt make it a gun
    it would be the counter guys word against mine. he says i never declared it a handgun. i say i did and he didnt care.

awesome policy is awesome

17. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

I once sold a handgun and shipped it ups ground.

it went to an FFL. they didn't know it was a gun and I didn't tell them

another time I shipped a handgun to myself. obviously I'm not an FFL. same deal, UPS ground, kept them in the dark.

doesn't seem like its a very big risk.

would not try this shit with USPS, of course.

18. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The only time a problem occurs is when the package with the gun goes missing. If you do not follow shipping policy your shit out of luck. You may also have some questions to answer if the gun is used in a crime and later recovered.

Look you can do whatever you want. We have customers ship us pistols usps now and then and they just don't declare it. When you think about it, it's not worth the risk.

For example if you ship a firearm not to the shipping company's guidelines, or to the FFL's guidelines. They can refuse it. Then what are you going to do. What if the package is damaged during transport and it goes to re-wrap and it's discovered as a gun? Do you think the shipping company is going to make it easy for you to get back. They are within their rights to just turn it over to the athorities and let you deal with them to get it back.

A FFL can refuse the package and it goes back to the shipping company. They can be nice and send it back to you, or just give it to the athorities if you did not follow their shipping guidelines.

Pay a little extra, or take some serious risk.

19. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Yar's are the responses worth listening to...

Easier just to toss a FFL a $20 and get them to ship it.

20. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

:werd:

mine shipped my GSG to the guy for shipping plus $5

21. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

might want to check your facts before posting them as fact

22. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

yeah. I'd probably do it different now.

23. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

you might want to suck my cock, and everything I've posted is a fact sans the prison part.

24. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

25. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

and i asked some ffl's if they'd ship for me. they said no