GUN Federal Arms Permit.... hard to get?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Wobistdu, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

I want mainly to carry across state borders and I may be moving to maryland.

:dunno:

2. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

3. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

no such thing.

You could get a CCW in other states that are reciprocal. This would allow you to carry in several different states, but there is no all encompassing permit that allows you to carry in all states.

You could do it if you were a government officer of some type (Marshall, FBI agent, etc) but us Proles can't carry like that.

4. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

i think retired cops can carry nationwide... become a cop and quit a day later :mamoru:

5. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

There was something like that being considered. I don't know if it ever went through.

I know my grandfather (retired LAPD) is still allowed to carry in California even though he hasn't qualified (or even fired a gun) in years. His permit doesn't expire...I've seen it.
    I think he carries it more as a curiosity rather than an actual reason to carry a gun.
    He does bring his old Colt Detective .38special when he drives to California, but it simply sits between the seat and center console where he can get at it if need be.

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Yes, it was passed, but good luck getting the permit. Congress, in their infinite stupidity, passed it with no real guidelines for the locals on how to implement it. So right now most places don't know what the hell to do with it.

As for carry across state borders if you are not a retired LEO, your need a state CCW and your state needs reciprocal agreements with any state you cross into. In general, you can only carry in a state that already has CCW for their own citizens and has an agreement with your home state that allows each to recognize the other's CCW permits.

edit: some states offer non-resident CCW permits. I'm sure some one here can fill in the details on those.

edit edit: by "carry" I mean carry concealed. Transporting a firearm you own across state lines usually doesn't require any permit, just be cautious of the local laws where you travel (and stay out of communist north Illinois.)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
  7. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

8. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

:rofl: you will NEVER get a handgun permit in Maryland. To get one you must be (and can prove) you are a business owner that makes nightly deposits of cash, or you must have been a law officer, OR you must be assaulted FIRST in order to have the right to get a carry permit. Worst fucking state ever, i lived there for 20 years.

Best bet is to incorporate and "make" nightly deposits. it can be done, but isn't easy to do. I know people who have :hs:

9. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Maybe another OT'er from Maryland can help him out :rofl:

And if you think Maryland is bad, try Illinois. Hell, I'd be glad to take a beating if I could get a CCW out of it. Thanks to Kim Jong Daley and the people's republic of Chicago, we can't get concealed carry under any circumstance.

10. ices

ices New Member

:rofl: I live in Maryland too. I plan on moving to VA when I get out of college. Seems like such a nicer state, plus I live right between Baltimore and DC, so I have the "left over" crime coming by my neighborhood. Why don't you just get a friend to "assault" you?

11. striker754

striker754 Chillin

Try Nebraska..no carry at all. Open or concealed :noes: :noes:

12. daviid

daviid cell tower tech

how can you purhase a pistol then?

13. striker754

striker754 Chillin

Well obviously you can take it to the place you are shooting at. You just cant have it "on" the person. Like walking around with a holster.

14. Justin03R6

Justin03R6 New Member

Legally, Nebraska is an open carry state. I do NOT recommend it though.
    Nebraska has a "handgun purchase permit" that you can get so you don't have to wait the 5 days.

I know they've been trying to get concealed carry, but no luck yet.

15. daviid

daviid cell tower tech

sorry i am just used to a communist state where a CCW is required to purchase a pistol

16. i_is_surf

i_is_surf New Member

I believe you guys were talking about the Law Enforcement Officer's Safety Act of 2004.

The law was put into place because the danger to a policeman doesn't stop when they are off duty or they retire.

http://www.theorator.com/bills108/hr218.html

17. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

any danger an off-duty cop faces is no different than what a civilian might face.

18. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Keep listing these states with horrible gun laws...

I need to make a list of places I'm not going to ever move to :o

19. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Except civilians don't put many many people in jail during their career that might remember the officer that put them there, and may hold a grudge.

20. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

21. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

actually that's incorrect. I have a few people that I have tossed in jail that want me dead. Little more different when you personally put bad people behind bars for years, there is always the possibility of retaliation.

22. veonake

Did you see CA and automatically assume that? Sigh, to put your mind at ease, I'd like to get a CCW here, but San Diego is basically a won't-issue county, and I don't think it's worth the fees to only be denied in a couple months.

23. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Same in Illinois. I did find out that I can somewhat get around it. I just applied for a PA non-resident permit, which will allow me to carry in Missouri, where I work and spend a lot of time.

I just have to remember to check my personal safety at the Illinois border when I come home.

24. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

No, I didn't see CA and assume that automatically. I didn't read the post you were responding to and once I did, then I edited my post...

25. veonake

I guess I'm just too quick with my replies.