Features for a mail client

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Penguin Man, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

So, I'm about to start writing a mail client with massive spam-control capabilities (it's my programming project for the year, working with a professor at the university here). Obviously it will have the basics (check mail, setup accounts, send mail, etc), but I'm curious as to what features everyone here either can't live without right now or would love to see in a mail client. Also, what layout do you like for a mail client? Multiple windows (a la old Eudora or old Mulberry) or single window (a la Outlook, Mac Mail)?

I'll let everyone know when I have a beta version available to try out if anyone's interested :).

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

We talking regular POP3 server access, or accessing something like Exchange? Because some of the features of exchange would be nice to use relying on a POP3 environment where the POP3 servers are not controlled by a single company.

3. Thrasher

Thrasher Guest

I use Mozilla Mail, so everything MM does would be great :bigthumb::rofl:

4. Penguin Man

I'd probably start with IMAP (since it's what I use) and then ad POP3. But, yes, it would just be for regular existing servers. What features of Exchange are you talking about? I've never used Exchange, so I'm not familiar with how it works.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Not specifically to an email client but:

- meetings. In outlook you can schedule meetings via email, but when using POP3, the message is lost in translation.
    - calenders - same deal.
    - Fetching headers and not attachments for when you're on the road and have to use dial-up

I mean email messages are pretty simple, it's all in how you interpret them if you want to make them powerful.

6. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Personally, I only use the bare basic features of Outlook. Checking and sending email is about it. As for the layout, I really like the layout of 2003. Their spam features are quite amazing as well. As 5gen mentioned, being able to get the headers would be a nice feature for people on the go.

7. Penguin Man

Yeah, the spam prevention system I'm going to be implementing is very strict, and eventually will allow pretty much no spam at all through.

By fetching headers but not the messages or attachments, you mean being able to see just the subject/sender/date without it downloading the message/attachments? If so, of course, I hadn't even thought of doing it any other way (seems counterproductive to me). Calendars and such would of course be added at a later date, but that's a good idea.

I'll keep you guys updated as the project progresses for sure. At some point (once the basics are implemented), it will probably move into the open source community and that way it should progress quickly.

8. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Do you have any plans for implementing the spam aspect of the system? I'm curious to hear how you'd do it.

9. Penguin Man

The spam component is already developed actually, just not implemented into a user-friendly client yet. You can find the part I plan to implement initially here and the second part (more complex, to be implemented later, when I understand it fully) here.

10. tailgate

tailgate Whats with today, today?

I use mozilla thunderbird, does everything I like except calender stuff, look at that for ideas.