A&P Feature I want in a next gen body: Better reds.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by CornUponCob, Mar 27, 2008.

1. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

300D, 30D, 40D, the reds have sucked in every body. I'd like to see better reds in the future.

I've also noticed that even the LCD screen on the camera does a shitty job of showing reds. They are often heavily pixelated near the corners (say the corner of somebody's shirt compared to a non-red background.

I'm also noticing that I'm getting more OOF pictures of golfers wearing red shits over other colors, however, every golfer wearing red has been wearing solid red.... no pattern, so I guess I should expect AF to be a little worse anyway. Makes me wonder though if the AF sensor shares the same color preference (green) as the camera sensor (if the AF sensor sees color at all, which I would guess it would have to).

2. Spurious

Spurious New Member

I believe that's a colorspace problem, so you'd have to update all of the commercial printers too... It's sort of one those in 5-10 years things.

[​IMG]

3. DRAIGON

DRAIGON New Member

Color blind.....?

4. DRAIGON

DRAIGON New Member

Those with protanopia, deuteranopia, protanomaly, and deuteranomaly have difficulty with discriminating red and green hues. Genetic red-green color blindness affects men much more often than women, because the genes for the red and green color receptors are located on the X chromosome, of which men have only one and women have two. Such a trait is called sex-linked. Females (46, XX) are red-green color blind only if both their X chromosomes are defective with a similar deficiency, whereas males (46, XY) are color blind if their single X chromosome is defective.

The gene for red-green color blindness is transmitted from a color blind male to all his daughters who are heterozygote carriers and are usually unaffected. In turn, a carrier woman has a fifty percent chance of passing on a mutated X chromosome region to each of her male offspring. The sons of an affected male will not inherit the trait from him, since they receive his Y chromosome and not his (defective) X chromosome. Should an affected male have children with a carrier or colorblind woman, their daughters may be colorblind by inheriting an affected X chromosome from each parent.

Because one X chromosome is inactivated at random in each cell during a woman's development, it is possible for her to have four different cone types, as when a carrier of protanomaly has a child with a deuteranomalic man. Denoting the normal vision alleles by P and D and the anomalous by p and d, the carrier is PD pD and the man is Pd. The daughter is either PD Pd or pD Pd. Suppose she is pD Pd. Each cell in her body expresses either her mother's chromosome pD or her father's Pd. Thus her red-green sensing will involve both the normal and the anomalous pigments for both colors. Such women are tetrachromats, since they require a mixture of four spectral lights to match an arbitrary light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness

5. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

no, you're way off base.

6. mojito

mojito New Member

there is a problem, even with 1 series :hs:

It's only bothered me a handful of times, and almost exclusively when shooting jpeg

7. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

I would like a boob on the back near the LCD that I can suck on when shooting.

8. g33k

g33k OT Supporter

make your own picture style to enhance reds

canon has pretty much standardized on the same look for all cameras, you use picture styles to tweak the color mapping

9. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Is this purely a Canon color thing? I've noticed the opposite in my Nikon... It almost over saturates the reds... it's awesome!

I wonder if there's any technical data that will show us the differences...

10. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

The solution?

Kodachrome.

11. g33k

g33k OT Supporter

canon should make picture styles that emulate the color reproduction of some films and earlier cameras (D30, 1D)

but they don't :(

12. mojito

mojito New Member

picturestyles=jpeg=ftl

13. g33k

g33k OT Supporter

wait... you wanna use raw and you want the body to make better colors :ugh:

totally depends on the raw processor then

14. mojito

mojito New Member

they're limited right off the bat :hsd: canon just has issues with reds

15. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

16. g33k

g33k OT Supporter

well the pixelation is caused by the in camera demosaicing algorithm. camera raw probably does a better job at demosaicing than the camera

also picture styles can be applied in dpp I think if you use raw

17. mojito

mojito New Member