SRS fear of authority

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by familyguy101, Apr 9, 2008.

1. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

I can't talk to my boss without getting nervous. I'm always trying to get his approval and willing to go out of my way for him. This is for any boss at any job i've had. I don't have the same problem with cops or anything, just any boss at work. Basically, I just become very self conscious when i'm talking to him and I try to do every small thing perfectly and do anything not to upset him. Why does this happen to me? The others at the business can talk to him like they are friends.

2. dura

dura Guest

Going out of the way and following tasks to the minute detail are good traits. A lot of employees could give a shit less about being passionate with their work. Just remember that both of you are men and you have no reason to be intimidated by him.

3. Dreams2Reality

Dreams2Reality saywhat

It's ok to go above and beyond at work, in fact, your employers will see and note that.

But, if you constantly get that feeling of "this guys better then me" then you need to change route. Make eye contact and ask em' if he saw the ballgame last night.

4. tqpolo

tqpolo ***** Platinum Member OT Supporter

I am constantly feel like "this guy is better than me" with my boss. He is very smart and that's what intimidate me. I sometimes feel like a student and he's a teacher. My field is very technical so experience speaks volume. I would like to change that one day though.

5. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I understand the nervousness around a boss. They have a HUGE impact on our lives, or they can if we fall out of favor with them. IMO it's natural and normal to be a little on edge....especially if you're new to a job and/or don't trust you boss.

People should always strive to exceed their bosses expectations. Most times, they will reward you for your efforts. However, don't be a kiss ass. Noone likes a kiss ass and that can hurt you worse than a lot of other things.

Just be friendly and listen to what he/she says. Try to complete every project ahead of time and below budget. Develop a "can do" attitude and take on projects other people don't want. I made a LOT of money by doing what other people didn't want to do.

6. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I used to be like this too, and other people noticed it.

I used to put people of authority up on a pedestal. If there was someone who was more educated, more attractive, more successful, or anything better than me, I often felt intimidated and thought of them as someone great.

After I went through a little therapy, I stopped viewing people as better or worse, but simply different. I sort of had an epiphany when my supervisor posted up a two page letter of new rules for my department, and I realized his use of grammar and spelling was that of a 12 year old.

After realizing that this uneducated redneck wasn't better than me (because I don't see people as better or worse), I started to calm down around him.

What also helped me a lot was reading the biographies of great people. In the early 20's, most great people had yet to do anything significant. I started becoming more okay with where I was, rather than focusing on why I'm not where I wish I was.

7. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

excellent points....I could not agree more.

8. Dreams2Reality

Dreams2Reality saywhat

Wow.

Well said.

Bravo.