GUN Favorite hunting caliber?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Goat, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

I'm looking for a new deer rifle and can't decide what caliber to get. I've always used .243 Winchester but I'd like to try something new. I'm leaning towards a 7mm-08, but I still can't really make up my mind. Any suggestions?

2. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

3. Goat

That'd be helpful if I was in Ohio, or was looking for slug gun.

4. mrbill

mrbill New Member

the 30-30 has prolly downed more deer than any other caliber. that being said, just about anything(save .22 and below) will do the job and do it well. shot placement is more important than caliber. it doesn't matter if you firing the hottes .300 Win Mag load if you aren't putting where it will do the job. find a gun/caliber combo you like and use it.

5. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Guest

243 is a terrible big game round. Load it up with the light sierra bullet at 65gr and it's a fantastic varminter :)

I stick with .270 for medium game. 338 win mag for larger..
    7mm-08, are you thinking of going with that because it will fit in a medium length action? So you can re-barrel your 243? I have a sako forrester action in 243, I had considered barreling it for 7mm-08 at one time but decided against it. Shoots too well..

6. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I say go with .270 or .30-06, there really isn't much difference between the two.

7. Redmouse

Redmouse Just looking...

IMO, shot placement is just as important if not more so than caliber. I use a .308 rifle. All around caliber IMO. A .30 caliber round would take just about anything down in Texas. I'm not hunting grizzly's or elks so that round is more than sufficient. I, personally, would stay away from anything lower than a .30 cal round for hunting mainly because I want to drop it where it stands and not have to chase it through the brush and thorns.(S.Texas)

8. Goat

For reference, I'm not rebarreling anything, I'm buying a Browning A-Bolt (most likely) and I just wanted to hear everyone else's opinions. And you're right, the key to killing something is shot placement. I have a friend who will argue for days about how great his .270 is and how much my .243 sucks because "it won't drop a deer in one shot." He evidently doesn't realize you can drop a deer with a .22 if you hit it right.

9. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Guest

I completely disagree, bullet selection is a huge part of it. IME 243 bullets (well, all light high velocity bullets) like to fragment inside the animal, little penetration and little soft tissue damage. The difference is does the deer run 50 miles and die, or drop dead in 3 steps.

10. taco

taco Guest

I'd vote for the 25-06. In my opinion it is the best deer round out there. It combines very light recoil with flat trajectory.

11. texchef

texchef Guest

I have always hunted deer with a .22-250. Every year I have gone hunting I have bagged the biggest buck with that round. The benefit I personally see is that all the other rifes recoil too much and I tense up waiting for the recoil and screw the shot.

12. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

.30-06

13. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Guest

not a huge fan of 308. Had a steyer SSG that was extremely accurate, but wouldn't use 308 for much else. It's good at wounding people as a sniper round that's about it.

14. Polaris30

Polaris30 Hmmmmm......

7mm is the way to go. I also like the .270 because it is a very versatile caliber as well. I have used both of them to hunt big game and neither calibler has let me down. ( Winchester model 70s)

15. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I would get the 30.06. It is comforting knowing my rifle can take down any North American game animal.

vspec, you should seriously re-evaluate the .308. I have made a number of one shot, one drops with my .308 on Elk, no less. And an Elk is considerably bigger than most humans. My last shot was over 350 yards.

16. moosegooser

moosegooser Guest

I hunt every year and alway max out, I have three this year already .

Shot placement is more important than the caliber. Just about any 243 cal or up will work fine on deer. REMEMBER not every shot is going to be a "perfect clean kill" no matter what round you use. Deer are a tough animal. If it doesnt die in the first 20 minutes of being hit there is a good chance it will lay down and heal over.

I shot at a 130 lb doe last year with a 300 win mag. It hopped off into the woods , I though I had missed they way it was acting. I found it about 100 yards into the brush. I hit it a little high and destroyed the shoulder, (that why it was hoping , it only had use of three legs.) The round went into the lungs causing death.

Unless you hit it in the spine, heart or brain its going to run. If you "gut shot" it you are going to chase it for a while and have a mess when you gut it. I work with a gentle man that hit one with a 12 gauge slug from 20 ft into the chest straight on. He had fur and fat splattered on himself from the hit. That deer is still running today.

17. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Guest

you guys seem to think every shot is a perfect broadside placement, in the real world it isn't. If a gigantic buck is running away from you, are you going to think oh shit I only have a 243, or are you going to kill him with a 338, there's a bit of a difference there. Sometimes you have to shoot what you're presented, even if it means pounding a bullet up his ass or taking a shoulder shot.

18. Polaris30

Polaris30 Hmmmmm......

:bigthumb: Agreed

19. Goat

I wouldn't risk gut shooting a deer unless it was a monster, I hate dealing with the aftermath.

20. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Guest

On occasion it's worth it. I've been known to pound a deer up the ass if it's the only option. Or you get stuck with a running shot and don't lead just enough, no big deal. I do have to say, I've never seen a deer take more than 2 steps and do a backflip once hit with a 338 win mag :) griz bear is a different story.

21. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i've never been hunting, but i do want to at least learn how to clean a deer, so that i can go. i'm wondering how hard it is to hit the head or neck, to preserve the maximum amount of meat. i'm not concerned with trophies as of now, i would just like to learn how to hunt.

22. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

Using something that big I'd hope it didnt go anywhere.

23. Polaris30

Polaris30 Hmmmmm......

Well its not that easy to shoot a deer in the head because you have to take in consideration how small it is and how often they are moving it. They are constantly looking up to see what's around them. You really don't waste that much meat if you think about how much you are getting. Just pick a spot then pick a hair. :bigthumb:

24. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

that's about what i figured. the same way you aim for center mass with defense. i've just never really observed deer to know how often they move their noggins.

25. jrmy

jrmy Guest

.30-06, has served me well in the few years that i have had it......Remington ROCKS!!!!!!!!!! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)::):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)