Favorite gym experiences

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Filmboy44, Aug 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

Discuss your favorite gym experiences. Something that stands out to you. Maybe we can get a different kind of motivation thread going here.

I had a great moment yesterday. No matter how big you are, there is always someone bigger than you. I was training shoulders yesterday and wasn't feeling all that well, both physically and emotionally. I had an extremely stressful afternoon. My business is on the brink of disaster and one of my partners is leaving so that really crushed me.

I went to the gym. I felt that it would take my mind away from my troubles for at least an hour. It was monday around 5pm. The most crowded time of the entire week. I walked in to the 5 biggest guys that train there. 3 of which are NPC bodybuilding champions and 2 are just large as fuck! I put the focus to my mind and started my routine. I was constantly reminding myself of why I was there...no matter how big those guys were and how much they made me feel smaller than a pea I kept training. I made certain that I was the hardest working person there. Pushing the weights non stop, supersetting, increasing the weight with the reps, going all out. By the end of my first superset (military and side laterals) I was pretty fried. 5 sets of 12-15...and I still had more to go. I set up the machine presses and the rear delt cable raises. This is hwere I ran into some trouble. One of the bigger guys was working on the bottom pully, the one that I needed. So when he wasn't there I switched the handle and did my set. I then ran back to the mahcine presses and banged out 8 more reps, ran back and saw the big guy removing my handle. He looked and said "you on this?" I replied "yeah" he said "oh, I'm sorry...I'll get outta your way" I nodded and went back as hard as I could. I saw him watching out of the corner of my eye, how intense I was and how I forced myself to work harder.

It wasn't too long before I noticed that guy along with a few of the other guys started to train harder and harder. It almost became a contest of who was working the hardest. I never felt so energized, pumped and strong as I did last night. By my final set of shrugs I caught the eye of one of the guys and he winked and I nodded....

it is a great feeling to push yourself against intimidation.

2. Mystery Guest

Mystery Guest New Member

Last week while working out I noticed this really jacked guy in our gym. He wasn't a regular, the kind of guy you would stay away from. He looked really familiar, but I just couldn't pinpoint who it was.

The next time I worked out he came over and asked to work in with me on one of the machines. We got around to talking.

As it turns out I was working out with Perry Saturn of the WWF :eek3:

[​IMG]

3. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

its a wonder isn't it folks? :rolleyes:

4. 240 KA-T

240 KA-T New Member

I guess just training at my local town gym vs. my college. I feel huge amongst all the 50 yr old guys benching with a 10 on each side.

5. 240 KA-T

240 KA-T New Member

:squint:

6. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

And thats a good thing?

7. 240 KA-T

240 KA-T New Member

Not really, lack of motivation but I still feel huge hahah.

8. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

Personally one of my best experiences was back in HS when I was playing football. I never really worked hard at all and feel waaay behind most of my friends in lifts and was always small and kinda got picked on during football. My the end of my junior year/senior year I finally started eating right and working out the right way. I went from 165 - 190 over the time period and increased all my lifts dramatically (go noob gains)

I wound up being the first out of my close group of friends to put up 225 on bench 315 on squat and 350 on Dead... This pushed all my friends to start working harder as well... it was a good experience

9. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

what?

10. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

probably the first time I put up a deep 315lb on squat easily. I had a spotter and after the rep, the guy(who was alot bigger than me) said it looked like I was ready to do more weight.

since then I've lost 18lbs and my squat sucks hard, but I'll be bulking soon...

11. cavefish

Anytime I hit a PR is good, because you know that your hard work in the gym paid off. Same thing as if you grew an inch, or lost bodyfat, etc.

I got 40lbs to go before I join the four-wheel club on bench. That's gonna be a great feeling. I was pretty apathetic when I did 300 the first time.

12. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

being reasonably comfortable in 33x30 jeans for the first time ever a few days ago, that was pretty big. i think i'm gonna buy some 32x30's for motivation.

finally throwing up plates for reasonable reps today on bench, considering i started with 25 on each side.

13. 240 KA-T

240 KA-T New Member

Being winked at by a guy... I dunno, just kinda :greddy:

14. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

last week, i was doing bench

now, this might not seem like a lot to you guys, but forever, i was just doing sets of 155x10... so, bear with me...
    i'd always had this roadblock at 185, more mental than anything, i think...

well, i'd gotten to the point where i could rep 185 for 3 sets of 10 and i thought "i feel good, let's try more weight"

so, i put on 195 and repped it with no problem
    then, i put on 205 and repped it with no problem (6 times)
    then, i put on 215 and repped it (with a spotter) 4 times
    at this point, i'm feeling fantastic (mind you, this is AFTER my 3 sets of 10 reps at 185)

so, i put on 225 and repped it 2 times (spotter helped on the 3rd)

nothing super big... but it's letting me know that i'm stronger than i think i am and working out is more mental than i could have imagined

15. cavefish

Well now you know, and knowing is half the battle :p

The only limits that exist are the ones you place on yourself.

16. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

the first time I put up 315 was pretty huge for me... i was in the school gym in high school. it was one of the first team lifts we had my senior year when I tossed it up. teammates were high fiving me and everyone got pretty psyched up and started working hard for their maxes. actually felt better than the first time I got 405 up - only a couple people around a commercial gym, but the big dude who spotted me gave me some props, which was cool. i just kinda sat there in shock after I did it

17. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

fuckin :werd:

the only reason I got 405 for the first time was because of my spotter - I never would have tried it. I had been working out alone all summer. I was going to attemp 385 and didnt even think I would get it. he came over when I was getting a drink and took off the 35s and put on 45s. I was like, dude theres no way im gonna get that weight. he said, and I quote from a vivid memory - "shut the fuck up and press dis bitch" (imagine a 6'5 jacked black dude) I got on the bar and got it - just needed a little motivation

18. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

:rofl: awesome :rofl:

19. cavefish

That sounds awesome. I wanna hire Ronnie Coleman to follow me around the gym and yell at me when I lift.

20. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

:rofl: That's fucking awesome :bowdown:

My favorites are the little things: when the truly big guys compliment me on my progress and hard work, or when I set a new PR, or when i notice more definition in an area of my body thanks to bodyfat loss.

21. Jacknasty

Jacknasty New Member

The first time I benched 315 my senior year of high school. I was 5'6 and weighed 160 pounds, wet. I was in the base gym at Hurlburt Field. There were a bunch of Combat Control guys and a couple of Army Rangers there. I just happened to be maxing out that night and was intimidated as hell. Lot of big boys. I started my warm ups and kept catching a couple of guys staring at me and whispering. I thought they were making fun of me, so I got pissed, but didn't say shit (I'd have gotten my ass killed).

So, I get ready and throw 3 plates on each side. Now they are really staring. I say fuck it and get going. My partner gives me a lift off and I bring it down. It took me a second, which felt like 30 minutes, but I got it up. My face was red as hell and I felt good when I got up and everybody turned the fuck around.

I finished my work out and walked down stairs. There was some shit going on in the basketball court so I went in to see what was up. It was a squad of Navy SEALs that were packing their chutes. I started BSing with one of them and he said they had just finished a night jump with some Pararescue guys. I was talkign to him for a couple of minutes when one of the other guys walks up and says "Weren't you that guy that just threw up the big shit upstairs?". I said yes and he says "Fucking nice, man. One of the CCT guys told me there was a little dude pushing some weight. He said they thought they were going to have to save your ass", and he walked away.

That shit made my year. To be a little punk high school kid, complimented by a SEAL with legs bigger than my waist. I was ready to go do another workout after that

funny - when I hit 410, there were only 6 people in the gym. I only had 2 witnesses

22. MiseryIndex

MiseryIndex i never know why. i only know who. Moderator

first time i squatted 3 plates.
    first time i benched 225.
    first time i weighed over 160.
    first time i puked from deads.
    first time i busted my shins open during deads.

in short, i<3deads :o

23. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

:cool:

24. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Most memorable...
    First time I squatted 365
    First time I did dumbell flys with 45lbs for 10 reps good form, got a compliment from one of the bigger guys in my gym
    Hitting 200lbs in late winter
    Today I loaded 205 on the bar and benched it for 2 reps, a small psychological barrier I've had since my partner left for vacation of not going over 185. Next week I'll do it for 3 reps, then 4, just gotta keep at it.

Within the next 2 weeks, I'm going to hit 315 on DL.

25. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

When I first started deadlifting I did 1/4 DL's on the smith, 315 being my max on my second time trying. The next time, I loaded up a bar on the ground and did 225. Then I figured I could do 315. Tried it 3 times and could not pull it. My hands were in pain. The next time I went, I wrapped a towel over the bar, used an alternating grip, and was able to pull it.

So two months pass and after doing 225's off a step, I did 315 flat and decided to up it. The 5 or 10lbs seemed like a waste so I grabbed 25's. This was when I just grabbed weights and added it up after putting them on. It was about 9:30, there was hardly anyone there. As I pulled it off the ground it started feeling really heavy and I screamed as I got it all the way up. Through the reflection in the window, I could see people turning their heads to look at me. Then I felt a pain in my left lower back and let the bar down, left the gym trying not to make it obvious that I was in pain. The pain was there for a couple more days but it went away. It felt good to scream :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.